TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the differences in the PI and NPI heads?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah do a search,... there are a T O N of posts about this. And you'll see the conclusion is that PI heads are better jus for insight

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
PI heads are better?!?:2huh:

I will set the record straight.

If you want to stay N/A, and a cheap bang for the buck. PI heads is the way to go.

If you want to stay N/A and build a performance motor, Ported NPI's and a built shortblock is the way to go.

If you want a power adder, Ported PI's and built shortblock is the way to go.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k thanks, i knew the Pi's were better i just wanted to know the exact diff between them, and i will prolly be getting some PI's in the near future (when i have the cash)

So how would pnp NPI stack up against the PI? (i also plan on getting a PI intake and cams when i get some $$$$$$, lol)

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
do a search again... I even think htey have stickied the flow numbers... but PnP NPI's are slightly better than PI's. personally.. I think i'm going to find a set of low mileage PI's and go from there.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A fully ported NPI and PI are damn near the same thing.
The PI is pretty much the same piece of metal, but with different size ports.
Fully port the NPI, you have a ported PI.
If you want to get a new intake, without spending $1,000 +, get the PI heads, with PI intake.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
depending on what you want, due to the smaller CC size, on an NPI piston, you will yield about a 10.4 compression from 9.3 compression. Better flow on the exhaust side and PI manifold is a long runner design which will allow the engine to make more top end power over the older NPI set up.

joseph

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
A fully ported NPI and PI are damn near the same thing.
The PI is pretty much the same piece of metal, but with different size ports.
Fully port the NPI, you have a ported PI.
If you want to get a new intake, without spending $1,000 +, get the PI heads, with PI intake.
No, no, and no.

Just because they have close to the same flow rate does not mean they are the same. You can use PI and all the aftermarket intakes on NPI heads.

TGJ posted the correct information, with the exception of SVOs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
GreenBird said:
No, no, and no.

Just because they have close to the same flow rate does not mean they are the same. You can use PI and all the aftermarket intakes on NPI heads.

TGJ posted the correct information, with the exception of SVOs.
Good to know, but dont you have to have a 96/96 V8 setup like fuel rails and throttle body position to run them?

jOe

·
Registered
112 Posts
TGJ/Greenbird :thumbsup: Properly PnP'd NPI's are definitely NOT exactly like PI's. Well-done NPI heads will flow as well at the high end, and better than the PI's in the low end. That said, it IS costly to have them done properly. NPI heads were used on non-mustangs up to 2000 (and the PI manifolds will work, as Greenbird said), what do you mean 96/96 setup? return style vs/ returnless?

·
11,719 Posts
getblown said:
Good to know, but dont you have to have a 96/96 V8 setup like fuel rails and throttle body position to run them?

jOe

No, you need the 96 fuel rails, etc to run the PI intake.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
TGJ said:
PI heads are better?!?:2huh:

If you want a power adder, Ported PI's and built shortblock is the way to go.
Yet to be determined.

The fact is that no one has taken a set of fully massaged Renegade NPI's to the blown limit.

yet.

-mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
at the end of the day, its less a discussion or debate of what heads will do what, its the answer to what your goals are, not what would be cool or my numbers are getting than yours. You have to select a combination of block and heads along with a stable valvetrain that will both suit and run with what your objective is. If you cant back the car out of the garage and drive to publix for a box of fried chicken, then you have nothing...unless that car is prupose and is used to go rounds and win money.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
... drive to publix for a box of fried chicken ....
or Winn Dixie ...

let's have no private agendas here...

;)

-mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
or Winn Dixie ...

let's have no private agendas here...

;)

-mike
oh that was low mike......my stock is at 75.50 a share right now its set to split 5 to1 ...come one support the cause. I know you have a store in Palm City.

·
11,719 Posts
Palmguy said:
Publix >> Winn Dixie

:)
They are both good, they both carry Cabot Cheese. ;)
(although Publix does order alot more...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts