TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm going to guess it's a light for the picnic area there.

I also thought it might be a heater, mosquito trap, or a bird house of some sort.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative.

One hint: The lake in the background is Lake Keuka. It is one of the finger lakes in NY.

The item on the pole is of historical importance.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hmmmm....I see no picture.

·
Registered
331 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
Hmmmm....I see no picture.
Look at the Pic-of-the-Day.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Oh right, the front page pic. I skip the front page, forgot that that was the pic of the day. I opened this expecting a pic.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Well if you or MagerThom post something like this, it's always about aviation. ;)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Sept. 23, 1911. Earle L. Ovington in Bleriot monoplane flies first officially sanctioned airmail in U.S., from Hempstead to Mineola, Long Island, N.Y. ?

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Curtiss 1911 Model D?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Curtiss's reconstructed Aerodrome of 1914 achieved two brief over-the-water flights and a later sustained flight over Lake Keuka in New York. After the plane was returned to the Smithsonian, the museum labelled Curtiss's reconstructed Langley Aerodrome in an exhibit as "the first airplane capable of sustained free flight with a man" a point of great annoyance to the Wright brothers.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, here's the dope.

This is a 1911 Curtiss A1 Triad, which was the first float plane ever made.

The Glenn Curtiss Museum is flying a full scale replica of this plane, off the lake on September 18, 2004

1 - 15 of 15 Posts