TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to get an idea of how 96/7 Sport Birds look when lowered while still retaining the OEM 16" Sport Wheels...

and if possible, also please mention:
which brand springs/shocks you used to lower the car and
how much it was lowered.

(I really wanted to get new 17" or 18" wheels at the same time i got new shocks/springs, but it looks like my front shocks are kinda shot (oem Sport springs), the car sound/feels like it's gonna fall apart when I hit the slightest uneven spot on the road which actually has started hurting my poor body! This is ruining the interior too, as it also gets creaky more and more...
So it looks like I may get new (lowering) shocks while keeping the OEM sport wheels for now.)

I know I will research on what springs/shocks to get, but if you guys can mention suggestions while posting pics, that'd be a bonus. :)

Dumb q: one has to change both springs and shocks to lower the car, right?
(I do have a set of low mile front oem sport shocks that I bought from a member here sometime ago on a whim, when sport shocks became rare ... I guess they'll go to waste if I want to lower the Bird, as I can't use them ???)

Thanks IA

·
Registered
623 Posts
Id like to see pics of this as well.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
You don't need new shocks. I have 1" Vogtland lowering springs on my TBird. I will have to dig to find photos with the stock 16" wheels. I have aftermarket 16" wheels on it now, but with 245/50R16 which I can provide pics of.

·
Registered
97 Posts
tokio 1.5in drop monroe shocks and struts.

·
Registered
623 Posts
do you ever have to really worry about clearance issues? like would a curb take out your front bumper cover, speed bumps scraping ect.? i drive carefull and slow over bad dips and steep aproaches but i don't wanna b limited to where i can drive.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
1.5in drop, razzi ground effects.. minus front piece...

the only problem i have is backing up the drive way, if i dont hit it just right the end of the body kit on the drivers rear wheel will hit. other than that no problems. just take it slow and easy you will learn your limits.

it sits a hair lower now. the springs settled a little but i like it like that.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need new shocks. I have 1" Vogtland lowering springs on my TBird. I will have to dig to find photos with the stock 16" wheels. I have aftermarket 16" wheels on it now, but with 245/50R16 which I can provide pics of.
yeah Thanks - any 16" wheel should be fine to get the rough idea i am looking for. please post it if you can. (would be great if you have a side profile pic)

and thanks to all the other pics, too, guys - if you have a head on side profile pics, pls post them too, if it's not too much trouble. :) that's the best way to get a look I think.

·
2,118 Posts
yeah Thanks - any 16" wheel should be fine to get the rough idea i am looking for. please post it if you can. (would be great if you have a side profile pic)

and thanks to all the other pics, too, guys - if you have a head on side profile pics, pls post them too, if it's not too much trouble. :) that's the best way to get a look I think.
Ok, I found my Sport rim pics that had 225/60R16 Tires on them.

My aftermarket 16" rims with 245/50R16 Tires on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
do you ever have to really worry about clearance issues? like would a curb take out your front bumper cover, speed bumps scraping ect.? i drive carefull and slow over bad dips and steep aproaches but i don't wanna b limited to where i can drive.
The only times I have a problem is with some speed bumps i have to creep over, because of the way my mufflers sit if i back into a parking spot they catch on a curb, and i have to be careful how far i pull up on curves. For me its just slow down a little more over bumps, and look how far i pull up. Definitely worth it though car feels good around corners and at speed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
623 Posts
seems to b a good price since shipping is free.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think so, too
and.. can i use it with existing OEM sport shocks?
Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
i believe so. I believe when doing lowering springs all you HAVE to do is the springs and an alignment. Most ppl will upgrade more of their suspension at the same time but its not needed.
correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chatted with that place:

SystemSystem
Thank you for contacting Live Help
11:32:24 SystemSystem
You are successfully connected to Live Help. Please hold for the next available Live Help Agent.
11:32:29 SystemSystem
Philip has joined this session!
11:32:29 SystemSystem
Connected with Philip
11:32:43 AgentPhilip
Welcome to Live Help! How can I assist you today?
11:32:51 Customerwashburn
Hi i have a "?" about the follwing product:
1989-1997 Ford Thunderbird Lowering Springs - Eibach
Part number: E273524140
Manufacturer number: 3524.140
11:33:44 AgentPhilip
May I know your question please
11:33:47 Customerwashburn
can i use those springs with original Ford sport shocks in a 97 tbird with "sport option"?
11:35:39 AgentPhilip
Please allow me to look into the information for you. Would you mind holding a moment?
11:35:51 Customerwashburn
sure no prob.
11:40:16 AgentPhilip
Please hold, I am checking with the manufacturer
11:43:19 Customerwashburn
ok
11:45:33 AgentPhilip
This part will provide you more lower suspension than the stock part
11:46:39 Customerwashburn
yeah i know that - but my "?" is: can i use these springs while keeping the original Ford SHOCKS, that came with the car? (with "sport option"?)
11:46:59 Customerwashburn
if u're still checking with eibach - sorry
11:47:35 Customerwashburn
in other words, do I also have to change the shocks, if i use the Eibach springs?
11:47:59 AgentPhilip
You can , but currently the part is not in stock with us
11:48:56 Customerwashburn
but i don't HAVE to change the shocks, and just use the Eibach springs
11:48:57 Customerwashburn
?
11:49:05 Customerwashburn
is that correct?
11:52:30 AgentPhilip
Yep,

11:52:42 Customerwashburn
ok, thanks a lot Philip
11:53:01 AgentPhilip
Thanks
11:53:01 AgentPhilip
Is there any other concern, I could help you with ?
11:53:19 Customerwashburn
nope - just want to make sure i can use those springs with my existing shocks
11:53:24 Customerwashburn
thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
make sure you change to shorter rear sway bar links

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is that a necessity or an optional thing?

·
2,118 Posts
With 1.5" lowering springs and lower springs, you do need to make some other changes. I don't remember what they are though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
is that a necessity or an optional thing?
There are numerous posts on this subject and I never read a definitive answer. Some argue you do and some that you don't. I had stock endlinks all last summer and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I lowered my '92 near 1.5 inches, I didn't have to change anything else, just got it aligned. I did change ball joints then and put on new shocks while at it, but not because the drop required them.

'95 with just installed '97 Sport 16" wheels and Goodyear 225/60-16 tires, stock height. I didn't get a good shot straight from the side, I'm shooting downward slightly which minimizes the gap above the tires.

'92 with polished Coguar 16"x7" wheels (same back space as T-bird Sport wheels) with same size Goodyear tires as well, it's near 1.5" lower with cut Sport springs.

An inch in front is OK, the rear of the '95 needs to come down about 1.5 inches IMHO. I wouldn't want it any lower than the '92 driving these roads. I know it don't sound like much and may be hard to see, but it changes the looks and it scrapes easier.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks a LOT for the great pics...really helps me to visualize it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts