TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rims painted and on the car!

I've been wanting a set of Sport rims since I towed my Tbird home. I found a set of Sports with good Pirelli tires(225 60 16's) and picked them up today for $80!! :D

3 of the rims are in really nice shape, the 4th though the paint is pretty shot on it. I was thinking either to paint that one silver again, clear it and put them on teh car....... OR....... paint the rims black, leave the polished lip and get the centercaps with the bird in the middle, leaving the bird silver. I'm not sure how that would look on a gold bird though.

Either way here's a pic of the one rim that the paint is shot

One of the rims also has a small curbing on it, the tire holds air and it doesnt look bad at all.

I think I made out like a bandit finding a set of sports with good tires for $80. Cant go wrong with that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
623 Posts
2 things...

1.Please don't paint them black.
2.is the paint bad on the 4th one or is it just caked on brake dust?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I have the caps for them:thumbsup:
PM'd :wiggle:

From what it looks, the rim does have baked on brake dust but the surface is really rough, almost as if the clearcoat was completely removed. I was able to take a grey scuffing pad and some rim cleaner and clean some of it but the mosquitos are getting bad so I quit for the night. I may just clean the rim really good and see where it's at. I may have to paint it again, or at least re-clear it.

I have done black rims with the polished lip and they look good but they have been on either white or black cars, I wasnt too sure how it would look on gold. I'm going to do a PS and see what it would look like. Me personally I like the silver look on the gold car, but you never know....

·
Registered
623 Posts
I guess it could look good with a polished lip...i misunderstood your post. I don't know why but i was thinking you were gunna paint them all black and leave the centercaps silver. (looks like cop wheels..ugly) U should post the photoshoped image when you get it done. id be interested to see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
this is what I was thinking with the center cap.,

As for the rims....here's the best I can do with the picture I took earlier

Add that to my car........

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Just so you know, those aren't sport rims, they are 93-95 SC rims. Notice they have the relief cut so you can remove the flat center cap. The sport wheels don't have that because they have the center cap with the lug nuts exposed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
so pretty much you wanna make 35th anny wheels but on sport style wheels and with a silver bird...looks good!

Only thing is idk if they are right for that color of car, i do like the wheels painted black like that but idk if it all fits together. I think silver would look best with that color. But its up to you man.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
so pretty much you wanna make 35th anny wheels but on sport style wheels and with a silver bird...looks good!

Only thing is idk if they are right for that color of car, i do like the wheels painted black like that but idk if it all fits together. I think silver would look best with that color. But its up to you man.
Doesn't look like his car is silver... Its Prairie tan... (My first MN12 was that color)

I don't think the black wheels will look good on it... but thats just my opinion. By the way, I do know that they look sharp with the standard salad shooter wheels with 245/60/15's

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't look like his car is silver... Its Prairie tan... (My first MN12 was that color)

I don't think the black wheels will look good on it... but thats just my opinion. By the way, I do know that they look sharp with the standard salad shooter wheels with 245/60/15's
Actually the car is Light Saddle. I did a quick spray on a part of the wheel and put it up to the car to look at it and see if I liked it(the one that needed to be repainted anyway) and I really like the black look so I'm going to be painting them black. I think it will give it a nice look.

And yes I'm going for the 35th anniversary look with a set of SC wheels. ;)

i'm thinking that I might keep the stockers and put a set of winter tires on them to switch off for the wintertime. ESPECIALLY after this winter and how horrible the car was to drive in the foot+ of snow we were getting in each snowstorm we had.

·
Registered
623 Posts

I know its not silver.
I was talking about the bird in the center cap. In the anny's the bird in the center is blue.

So i was saying he's making anny wheels but with sport wheels and a silver bird on the caps.

That why i think it would look bad as well. The tan color wouldn't go with black wheels.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here i did a quick photoshop because i was curious how it was gunna look.
Looks better than i thought it would!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice. Also take into consideration that I have the LX spoiler and 5% tint on all the rear windows and I think it would look good. But then again, you never know till it's done :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I got 2 of the wheels done today. hopefully I will have the rest of them done by the end of the week so I can put them on by the weekend.

I think they look really good!!

Here's with the tire sitting next to the car....

And what it would look like with the canter caps..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Just so you know, those aren't sport rims, they are 93-95 SC rims. Notice they have the relief cut so you can remove the flat center cap. The sport wheels don't have that because they have the center cap with the lug nuts exposed.
I have a set that looks just like his, but without the notch and they use the 5 hole center cap with chrome lugs. I like the smooth centers with the birds, and may cut the notches with a dremel tool. I hadn't seen these wheels with notches until this post, or rather ..... I had not noticed such. Mine are 16x7 and came off a '97 Sport.

I have them on my '95 now, replaced the fan blades on it in the sig pic.

I personally think the opening poster should have used silver metalic wheel paint and painted the set and clear coated it.

I'ld like a set of bright early SC wheels.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
too bad its facing the wrong way

1 - 20 of 50 Posts