TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow 1997 Thunderbird owner here I will be heading to the junkyard later this week to pull a 4.6l DOHC engine out of a 97 Lincoln mark VIII. Is there anything else I should take that is hard to find or that I may need? wiring? etc?

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
Is this to swap into your Tbird? I would get the engine wiring harness with it, but mainly just to have the various connectors. It will be easier to modify your existing harness and tune the ECM to run the DOHC motor than it would be to swap all the Lincoln wiring and ECM. The MarkVIII also has a better torque converter, so if the trans fluid looks good, and you have the engine out already, might as well grab that. Make sure to grab the air intake tube and airbox as those are different. It might be worth grabbing the aluminum rear lower control arms and rear diff housing as well, since if you don't use them, you could pretty easily sell them. If you do grab the arms though, make sure you get the bolts with them, as they are different from the Tbird ones.

Reactions: FBD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this to swap into your Tbird? I would get the engine wiring harness with it, but mainly just to have the various connectors. It will be easier to modify your existing harness and tune the ECM to run the DOHC motor than it would be to swap all the Lincoln wiring and ECM. The MarkVIII also has a better torque converter, so if the trans fluid looks good, and you have the engine out already, might as well grab that. Make sure to grab the air intake tube and airbox as those are different. It might be worth grabbing the aluminum rear lower control arms and rear diff housing as well, since if you don't use them, you could pretty easily sell them. If you do grab the arms though, make sure you get the bolts with them, as they are different from the Tbird ones.
Thank you and yes i am swapping into my Tbird

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
If they will sell you the exhaust manifold with the catalytic converter attached ( drivers side ) that would be great.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
It probably got cut off before it hit the yard floor if it’s a self service yard unfortunately, at least that’s been the case at all the ones I go to
Yes it would be illegal to sell a used catalytic converter. Some service yards are still willing to sell them. I had a local Tbird buddy who hid a cat inside of a seat cushion at the local pull it yard .. When he got out the front door he chucked the cushion in the dumpster. 😂

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,272 Posts
It probably got cut off before it hit the yard floor if it’s a self service yard unfortunately, at least that’s been the case at all the ones I go to
My daughters mark 8 the exhaust guy cut off the cat then welded in a pipe to handle the EGR and put on a flange to attach a pipe to. So if he gets the manifold with the cat cut off that may be helpful for him.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Nice posts, I was about to ask about getting a 4.6 to replace my 3.8. All the above is great info. I will need the whole kit, engine (computer, etc), tranny, drive shaft and cat back. Been looking for a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in my area that needs a home for a descent price. Spotted a 95 Merc Marque, body / interior looked like hell, but the car had low miles. But, the wife wants an AC system in the house. She is tired of using a swamp cooler during the summer. Sucks when you need something more import for the house than fixing up the car. Maybe this summer / fall.

Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts