TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this topic has been exhausted but all the threads I have found were old and the pics were no longer there. I have been running 235/60/16's but I lowered my car about an inch so I think I want to get a better look and i think 245/50's will be the best fit.

Can you please, please get me pics of 245/50/16's on a SPORT/SC wheel?

Thanks
Jonathan

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
My aftermarket 16" rims with 245/50R16 Tires on them. Car has 1" Vogtland Lowering Springs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay, question. My car is running the stock 225/50/R16's and I just scored a set 0f 245/50/R16's for free that I'm going to put on the car here soon.. What if any is the difference in the speedo read out? I noticed in a side by side comp. that the 245's are like 3/4" shorter in height and would imagine the circumpherance would be smaller so the speedo should read screwy right?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
The stock size for sport rims is 225/60/16, a 26.6 inch tall tire. The 245/50/16 is 25.6 inches tall, which would translate to your speedo reading 3.7% too fast.

Examples: Your actual speed is 60 MPH; the old tires would read 60 MPH and your new tires would read 62.2 MPH. Or, if your speedo read 60 MPH, your old tires would give you an actual speed of 60 MPH and your new tires would give you a speed of 57.8 MPH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you sir for the correction and the info. Thats helps loads and actually makes me feel good to know I wont have to worry bout going too fast if it actually goes slower than the read out!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Idk if it's the angle or what, but That's a LOT of gap with that size; even with a 1" drop !! Can hardly tell that it's lowered - I think a 55 series tire or a larger wheel size 17" with 245/50 series would have looked a lot better...

My aftermarket 16" rims with 245/50R16 Tires on them. Car has 1" Vogtland Lowering Springs

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Idk if it's the angle or what, but That's a LOT of gap with that size; even with a 1" drop !! Can hardly tell that it's lowered - I think a 55 series tire or a larger wheel size 17" with 245/50 series would have looked a lot better...
I think it is the angle of the pic. The car has a bit more gap to it than it did when I ran the 225/60R16 tires on it. Seeing it in person, especially when another TBird/Cougar is around, you can tell it is lowered. The gap is less than a stock height TBird/Cougar has with stock tires although currently not by much.

When I bought those tires, there was no decent 55 series 16" performance tire and those Borbet rims is what I had my racing tires on before I bought 15" ones I currently use now. The only reason I went with the Borbets as they were one of the the lightest aftermarket rim I could find and was available in other sizes. I used to have a pair of those in 15" for my old front runners.

There is not a lot of rims I like, and that look good on the car IMO, definitely nothing in the 17" or larger rims. I have no intention of swapping the hubs to run Mustang wheels, I might have but with the purchase of my 15" racing wheels, not a chance now. I don't even like those Borbets but I wanted something different...

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
:rolleyes:

... It's a seagull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts