TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pictures of blown Head Gaskets?

Im going junk yard shopping for a 3.8 and im gonna be tearing the blocks apart before i decide on the one im taking home so i want to be able to spot ones that are there because of HG issues.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone have pictures of blown Head Gaskets?

Im going junk yard shopping for a 3.8 and im gonna be tearing the blocks apart before i decide on the one im taking home so i want to be able to spot ones that are there because of HG issues.
Holy crap, you plan on tearing every one down to the block to decide?
You have way more time to do that than I do.

I don't have any pics but if you tear it down to the block and inspect the gasket it will be obvious where the gasket material has blown out.
There will be a piece missing that should obviously be there next to the water jackets.

If you are buying a 3.8 block and tearing the heads off you will have to replace the headgaskets anyway so what difference does it make if the gaskets were blown other than if someone ran it like that and ruined the motor. I wouldn't replace any 3.8 without upgrading to Felpro gaskets.

Here is an example I found on the net, not a 3.8 gasket but the failures look the same

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL i dont really have that kinda time but id rather make a safe buy then buy the block get it back home only to find that i have a block with warped heads and then have to bring it back and get a new one.

Also taking a day off way in advance and im gonna have 2 of my buddies that own me a favor come along so it really shouldnt take to long.

The main reason i wanted pictures was so i could show my friends what we are trying to avoid.

And ya i know if im tearing it apart i have to replace them any way but im gonna to be extremly picky, if i find one with even a hint of a blown gasket im moving on to the next bird.

PS.

Thanks a Bunch for the link :)

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
hold on, you need to see if the heads are good. they usually crack. the blocks are pretty stout. unless you are certain your heads are bad, take the heads you have to a machine shop and have them check them for cracks. do this first. if one is cracked, then its time to hit up the boneyard.

of the three 3.8s that i have seen blow a hg, its always the back passenger side cylinder where the gasket fails.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
hold on, you need to see if the heads are good. they usually crack. the blocks are pretty stout. unless you are certain your heads are bad, take the heads you have to a machine shop and have them check them for cracks. do this first. if one is cracked, then its time to hit up the boneyard.

of the three 3.8s that i have seen blow a hg, its always the back passenger side cylinder where the gasket fails.
this is true with mine. #3 i think

·
Registered
172 Posts
LoL i dont really have that kinda time but id rather make a safe buy then buy the block get it back home only to find that i have a block with warped heads and then have to bring it back and get a new one.
when you have an engine rebuilt, the machine shop SHOULD deck the heads anyway to be sure that you have a perfectly flat mounting surface. this is a good time to think about compression ratios. 10-1 would be attainable with some surfacing. maybe bigger valves too, just make sure that they use what's been called a "bowl-hog"(I'm pretty sure that's not a technical term, but what a buddy of mine called it). it opens up the area for a bigger valve while unshruoding the rear of the intake/exhaust ports.
to be popping that many sets of heads off to find a good head/block set-up, you gotta have one of those battery powered impact guns, yeah?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Might be easier to check the coolant for oil and oil for coolant first.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Might be easier to check the coolant for oil and oil for coolant first.
Depending on the yard, that may be drained before it gets parked in the yard, so to speak.

-Melon

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya all the yards around me drain fluids otherwise id take the easy way and check those.
But the nice thing is that most of them put the cars on stands so taking stuff off is a simple

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heres a picture I took that shows where the gasket material is missing between cylinder and coolant passage.

Mark

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can also see that the piston is much cleaner on the cylinder where the head gasket blew. That's a tell-tale sign.
Hey Wow! Steam cleaning! I think you are on to something, now if we could just figure out a way to market this. Hmmm. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts