TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I havent been around much, but I will be around more often as I just picked up a new toy yesterday....
Its a '96 4.6L XR-7. Main issues it has right now is I washed the engine bay and now it runs rough sometimes, and the intake has the dreaded crack... gotta take it to the dealer next week and get it fixed.

Here it is after a quick trip through the car wash :upsidedow :

Man, this exhaust is WAY too quite....

There, thats better!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... These headlights are pretty nasty...

Ahh... MUCH better!!! Now I bet I can actually SEE at night esecially with my new blubs that will go in tomorrow.

And the last thing, for the day, a K&N panel filter:

·
Registered
799 Posts
looks good man..

·
Registered
483 Posts
nice ride and man I gotta clean my engine bay to look like that..... I gotta be honest that K&N sticker looks very outta place.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If I owned a black cougar, I'd black it out. I love the look of a blacked out "luxury" car. It gives it bit of a unique sporty look. For example

Grand Marquis

Marauder

Regal (I don't know if this would be considered luxury, but you get the idea)

Grand National

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Do yourself a favor and find a local guy who will swap out a PI intake. You will notice a difference when you are just cruising and under the full throttle.

SWS

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do yourself a favor and find a local guy who will swap out a PI intake. You will notice a difference when you are just cruising and under the full throttle.

SWS
How do you make the PI intake fit the non PI heads?

I would like to do the full pi conversion but for now till I get some more funds and I have to change the intake anyways, I would like to add the PI intake... IF it is possible.

I will post up some interior shots tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
9,185 Posts
The PI intake swap onto NPI heads is pretty simple, from what I hear. I am about to do the swap myself next week, just waiting on parts from Jon. All you need are a set of gaskets, the heater hose, water pump nipple, some RTV silicone sealant and of course the intake. It bolts right up - the only things you need to replace are the heater hose in the valley of the block (the PI intake is deeper than the NPI intake - the NPI heater hose runs in the bottom of the valley and will be in the way of the deeper PI intake), the water pump nipple to match the heater hose, and use the silicone to fill in a bit of the coolant passageways to prevent it from leaking under the differently shaped gaskets. Search for threads on here about the swap.... lots of good literature. Here's also a good article about it: http://www.americanmuscle.com/pi-intake-install.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys it broke, already... Man, what is it with my luck and cars lately. It was broke when I bought it weather the previous owner knew or not I dont know, dont care... Look at the engine pic, just to the left of the alternator... see the antifreeze seeping? yep... the intake is cracked... I tried to make due with JB weld, but it started really leaking from the T-stat area, which was just changed by the previous owner.... so I ordered the repair kit for it... $650!!! Happy farcking birfday to me, damn near the price I paid for the whole car.

I have never touched a 4.6L before so hopefully the intake swap goes off without too much problems....

Thanks for the info, I will definatly go that route....

·
Super Moderator
9,185 Posts
Don't bother with the repair kit... Buy an updated PI manifold with the aluminum crossover and put that on there. That will more than likely solve your coolant leak issues, the all plastic intakes are a disaster waiting to happen. You can get the aluminum ones new from Ford for around $200, less if you can find a deal elsewhere. I managed to find mine for fifty bucks... plus the parts for the swap... all in all about $150. No sense in spending the time and money to put an NPI manifold on it just to take it off and put a PI manifold on it again later... right?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Don't sweat that intake man , get yourself the PI intake and don't look back !
The swap is easy just make sure you get the silicone on right . Also make sure you disconnect the fuel lines . I didn't and I think the fuel pressure regulator was stuck open and fried my cats .

If you want just get a non pi intake with the aluminum crossover , its easy and it shouldn't take more than three hours .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice looking cat. I'm in the middle of stripping down my '95 4.6 bird for my '95 cat. may as well do the PI swap while the weather is nice i say.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When you lay the gaskets on top of the heads, you will see the water passages at the front (pass side) and rear (drivers side) that need the RTV. Dont sweat it, just be sure to let it set for a while before you fill it with water again.

SWS

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, my PI intake came in today, was $300 from A&A in hamilton. Now just waiting on the PI heater tube that runs under the intake to come in, should be here tuesday.

Then I can start repairing this thing. Cant wait, I already miss driving it. LOL

One feature I thought was pretty cool was the fact that the seals are molded into the intake.. no gaskets to screw with! should I still use the RTV around the coolant passages?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
300 bucks ouch....

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts