TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took a picture of the bird with full drop. Rear is a higher because of larger tires in the back.

Didnt clean her up because it stopped raining for only about 3 secs lol damn Florida.

·
Registered
799 Posts
looks really good man..

·
Registered
144 Posts
looks good, what size tires you running ?

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
Don't hit any big bumps! :D

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
I don't know why, but that looks like much more than a 1 1/2" drop to me.
i was thinkin the same thing why is it i put eibachs and i notice a drop but thats a real drop by the op

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have jamex 2inch dorp spring coming and i took measurements, and that looks WAYYYYYY lower the an 1.5 inch drop.. i measired 2 inches of wheel gap and a 26 inch ride hieght from ground to apex of fender.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
235/70 in the back and 215s in front. The Eibachs i bought off a Club member that bought them from another member lol. He said he believed they were 1 1/2 so idk.

Pic of side by side of Eibach and Stock rear

·
Registered
623 Posts
+whatever number

The front is lowered more than two inches. I'm not criticizing or trying to throw any attitude your way, just stating a fact. That is one mean rake. If your upper control arms are original keep an eye on your upper ball joints. They are now operating at a much different angle that may accelerate wear. Sorry, nevermind, I just noticed your signature (uca).

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^^ i agree, either those coils are shorter then you think or your front end is sagging like a son of a *****, my front end is barely sagging and i need new lower control arms and tie rods.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Post # 8 looks about right for the swap RobertP and I just done my Eibachs are 1.5 drop the pics in # 8 look about right for the size, And Jezz the stock springs are some HD ones I might add:beek:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya its probably the Shocks, i might try replacing them (have an extra pair of Bilsteins sitting in the garage.

Side question I read somewhere that the Bilsteins can be repaired??

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shocks will not make a car sit lower if they are worn out. The dampening ability of a shock does not carry any of the weight of a car, the springs do.

You could swap out a 200k mile junk shock that isn't locked up with a fancy new Koni and the ride height would be identical. This is assuming the body of the shocks below the spring are the same length (which they are).

The only way you are going to bring the front of your car up is to either put a spacer between the spring and shock or somehow fab up a spacer for between the top of the shock and the shock tower. The obvious, correct, and easiest solution is a new set of front springs however.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Got ya, ya she is just gonna have to sit like that for a while really dont mind it at all. Leave for Basic in a few months and when i get back she will no longer be DD and hopefully no longer a V6. So new springs anyway ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
It doesn't look bad at all. I like a little rake, my car has a little. Hopefully the front is done settling and rear comes down a bit if you want it more level. My car is pretty low in the front and I have never had a problem hitting stuff, you just have to be careful. Well, actually I scraped my left exhaust pipe before my mid mount muffler once, but it wasn't bad at all.

I bet your car handles a lot better now compared to the 4 by 4 stance these cars have from the factory. Good job doing the work by yourself by the way, it's rewarding and much better than paying someone and saying 'I put new springs on my car.'

·
Registered
223 Posts
^^^ i agree with the look, but how practical is the height? i dont know about you but the front of my car was that low i wouldnt be able to drive it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I back into parking spots now lol, otherwise my front end will brush. Really its not bad at all, go over speed bumps no problem, not even taking them at an angle.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Shocks will not make a car sit lower if they are worn out. The dampening ability of a shock does not carry any of the weight of a car, the springs do.

You could swap out a 200k mile junk shock that isn't locked up with a fancy new Koni and the ride height would be identical. This is assuming the body of the shocks below the spring are the same length (which they are).

The only way you are going to bring the front of your car up is to either put a spacer between the spring and shock or somehow fab up a spacer for between the top of the shock and the shock tower. The obvious, correct, and easiest solution is a new set of front springs however.
shocks can affect ride height i've blown one and the car sits to that corner. not to mention you buy any gas shock and they have a label saying that they may make the car sit higher.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You are wrong. As long as the shock body length is equal below the spring perch, height will not be affected.

Here is a little test for you...
Take a new shock (hell, even a full cranked Koni), flip it upside down and push down on it. How difficult was it to push down? Answer: fairly easy. It takes a lot less force to compress that shock than the weight of the car exerts on said shock. Next take a spring and stand on it. Guess what, maybe it compresses maybe 1/32 of an inch. That being said the spring carries the weight of the car.

Are you telling me that the same shock that even the skinniest pansy could compress by hand can push back enough to push the front of a car up (even with the help of the springs). The answer is NO.

A shock would not function correctly if it was able to carry the weight of a car enough to make it sit higher. I have had blown out shocks on the rear of my car (oil out and everything, moveable with my pinched fingers when it was out), guess what? I swapped in a new set of Konis and no change in ride height.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
I think the pic may be slightly deceiving. I call for some more side shots with either the sun coming at it or the flash on so we can see some of that wheelwell/undercar area. You said you were running 235/70s in the back and 215/whats? in the front?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts