TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I see pictures of MN12s with 35% window tint, about to get my TBird tinted finally, I live in Vegas and I'm surprised I went this long without tinting the windows but now is the time....no way can I stand all that heat and sun coming in from every window in the car, I just wanted to see how 35% tint looks since that's the tint most people go with. Any pictures? How is the visibility from the inside affected?

·
Super Moderator
11,014 Posts
How is the visibility from the inside affected?
My Contour has 35% on the side windows, 50% on the back windows, and limo tint on the back window.
According to the shop that installed it (for my Mom), that's legal here, and there's an official looking approved marker in the tint in one spot.

It's a ***** to back up at night, but that's all. :)

Adding a backup camera fixes all that.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Not sure of the % as this car came from WA state.... I see just fine night or day. This is a 90's car so it's not bulked up to meet modern crash standards...hence thin A pillars and C pillars...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Here is legal 35% tint. It is the Pinnacle ceramic tint. The first pic is November, so the light is a little low. The second one is May at 5:00, so very bright.

I love the tint, keeps the car a lot cooler. I passed by my wife, who's car also has the same tint, and I couldn't see her in the car. So 35% tint does give you a lot of privacy.

Al

Attachments

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I had 5% tint installed in the back window and rear doors of a Taurus a few years back, and I had no regrets afterwards. Backing up at night is more difficult, but the light from the brake lights was enough to see.

Reactions: ikutoisahobo

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Al, that looks perfect, 35% is the way to go I guess, I will MAYBE do 15% on the rear quarter windows and the rear window, but 35% is the most that is legally permitted here in Nevada for the front side windows.

As for limo tints, that's just crazy, might as well drive with your eyes half open lol.

I think the rear window and windshield let in the most heat because of their angle so I'll probably do 15% on the rear window.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I think the rear window and windshield let in the most heat because of their angle so I'll probably do 15% on the rear window.
Yes, I added a window shade in the rear window when my car is parked at home.

I would keep the tint consistent. Either 35% everywhere, or 15% everywhere, etc. Except the windshield!

I don't know how you guys see out a tinted windshield, between the darkness and less than perfect optical clarity of tint. You can get clear tint for the front window, which still filters the 99% UV rays. But looking thru tint is not like looking out a naked window, clear or not. Makes more of a difference as you get older.....

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
35% on the windshield, 15% everywhere else. None of it is legal, but Idaho doesn't care.
Looks good! 35% for the windshield is a great idea.

Just don't drive it out of Idaho!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
35% on the windshield, 15% everywhere else. None of it is legal, but Idaho doesn't care.
Haha bro, so this is your TCCOA username (I follow you on IG remember, lol)

I would dare not tint the front windshield that's just too risky, cops here can spot that so quickly.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
NY state is tough now. Unless you know someone at an inspection station, you can't get any tint on the sides to pass inspection anymore.
My Cougar has 20% on sides and back, nothing on the windshield. It's a bit dark on the front windows for my liking, mostly because police think you are trying to hide something; it's a very easy reason for them to pull me over whenever they want.

If I ever get it redone I'd like to do a transition. 5% on the rear windshield, 20% back windows, 35% - 50% on front windows.

Not a fan of the windshield being tinted. I have trouble now seeing out of the back and sides at night with 20%.

Pardon my Cougar, it's a mess at the moment. I normally keep it a lot cleaner!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's not just the darkness, but the tint itself reduces optical clarity. That is why you don't want to put anything on the front.

The cops are just as concerned about the back window as they are the sides. They want to see you thru the back window as they are approaching to make sure you're not hiding anything.

The law here (and in a lot of states) is if the car doesn't have a trunk, you can tint the rear side windows and rear windows dark. Supposedly, it's so you can secure valuables in the rear of the car like you would a trunk. That's how SUV's end up with the dark tint on the back half of the car.

Al

·
Registered
72 Posts
Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle nano-ceramic 35% all around and 80% on the windshield. 80% is almost transparent and practically undetectable to the naked eye, but it gives all the other tint benefits such as UV and heat rejection and glare reduction. I didn't feel the windshield film was necessary at first when it was first pitched to me because I also use a sunshade on the windshield when parked outside, but fully protecting my dashboard from UV rays without additional effort to put on the shade was worth it.

I haven't had any visibility issues at all. The tint actually allowed me to stop wearing sunglasses in the car and eliminated all my eyestrain resulting from the insane daytime brightness of the untinted interior. Night visibility is mostly unaffected and I appreciate the glare protection against idiots in tall vehicles driving with HIDs in reflector housings.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts