TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sory they arent in any particular order, but I'll explain to you whats going on in each picture.

This is the before picture that shows the indentations on both sides of the elbow, and the bottom picture shows the plate of aluminum I use to make the plates.

This is the elbow after being cut cut, and the bottom shows the outline of my cut.

One pic of the plate being fitted against the side of the elbow. and the bottom shows a side view of the indentations cut out.

Comparison of stock TB (left) and halfshafted TB (right) as well as the ported and JB welded elbow

More pics of a halfshafted TB

This is the elbow with the plates welded on. You can see the inside of it, how it has that sharp edge where it was cut. That is what the JB Weld is for. Smoothing it out and ensuring there are no leaks.

This is a picture of the elbow ported and JB welded. Bottom picture shows a lineup from start to finish.

Just a refresher, I sell these elbows for 100+20core+shipping and the throttle bodies for 60+20core+shipping Thanks for looking

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wow! Good work. Just a couple of questions...what does "halfshafted" throttle body mean? Also, does this mod have a measurable gain in HP or ET's? And you're asking for $200 + shipping, $160 if the core assembly is sent in? Thanks.

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, you're right on the pricing. The elbows are expensive because of the rigorous TIG welding involved.

No gains recorded as of yet, but if anyone wants to volunteer dynoing them for me I'll cut them a deal on them :) I ran my 95 4.6 with the modified elbow and stock tb and got a 15.7. Other mods included in that time were mark8 tc, j-mod, and removed silencer.

Look at the comparison of the TB's in the 7th picture down. Notice the piece of metal in the middle of the one on the left? That is the throttle shaft, the one on the right had that side of the shaft cut off, and it opens the volume in that area significantly. The other half of the shaft on the other side of the plate remains, beacause that half has the threading for the plate screws. This is where the term "halfshafting" comes from.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thomas said:
I ran my 95 4.6 with the modified elbow and stock tb and got a 15.7. Other mods included in that time were mark8 tc, j-mod, and removed silencer.
Man that's pretty good for stock '95 heads, cams, and intake (assumption). Do you have any times for when your car was completely stock?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thats nice work, and a pretty good Idea....

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4point6r0x0rz said:
Man that's pretty good for stock '95 heads, cams, and intake (assumption). Do you have any times for when your car was completely stock?
Nope. I bought the car with a bad transmission, so I bought a 98 mark tranny and tc, j-modded it, and swapped it in. The only time I even drove the car stock was from the place I bought it to my garage in manual 2nd gear :)

Thanks for the comment Leland.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95dirtybird said:
hey Thomas, is that how pretty mine look?? Can't wait till they get here, and I'll send ya back my cores....:cool:
actually that IS your elbow and throttle body :D

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Good work on those and that is a good price for the amount of work you are putting into it.
I never heard, did you get the one I shipped to you?

Good job and take care
Darrin

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did, and thanks Darrin.

Yeah there a lot of man hours that goes into each and every step of the process of making these. If I had to venture a guess, the cutting takes 1/2, plates take 2, welding takes 1-1/2, JB weld takes 2-1/2, and porting takes 2-1/2.

So that's a total of about 9 hours put into these things, and for the price I charge to keep it reasonable for the buyer, it's a pretty good deal.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cougarnut281 said:
looks great can't wait till mines done. :D
Yours is the middle one in the lineup in the last pic :)

I got the plates formed, and it's at the welding place right now.

-Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts