TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If it's a paint stripe, acetone will remove the 'residue', but it'll also remove the wax.

Or, if it's a tape stripe - try 'Goo-Gone', or even WD40. Either way, you'll probably have to wax that area again.

Apply with a 100% cotton cloth, anything with polyester (plastic) WILL scratch your paint!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
kmart blue light special

$0.25 for a bottle of finger nail polish remover.

and a rag

took it right off, along with the wax and everything else around. but i dont care im gettin it painted. lol.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MadMax-

:D I'm not just ready to paint yet. ;)

Merc-

No Goo-Gone handy, but have WD-40. I figured some sort of mild solvent. Probably just a small amount would do it, huh?

I just waxed and polished a month ago. Not looking forward to doing all over again, but all it can do is help.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
DON'T use acetone in the strength...

soop said:
MadMax-

:D I'm not just ready to paint yet. ;)

Merc-

No Goo-Gone handy, but have WD-40. I figured some sort of mild solvent. Probably just a small amount would do it, huh?

I just waxed and polished a month ago. Not looking forward to doing all over again, but all it can do is help.

Thanks Guys.
that you get it in from a hardware store. Use Goo-gone or just
plain cooking oil, your fingernail and plenty of rubbing....

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
goo-gone

Won't the go-gone mess with the paint though? I tried using rubbing alcohol to take the dealership vinyl stickers off the back, but you can still see them in the right light(probably just the paint). I was thinking about goo-gone but was afraid it would mess with the paint.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No it won't harm the paint..

I used it to get some serious adhesive off my rear deck lid
when I debadged my 'Bird. It has little or no hot solvents
in it to harm paint.

If you see any paint distortion - it won't be from the
Goo Gone. A light "cleaner" out to blend everthing
together if the newly exposed paint happens to look
slightly different.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never had good results with alcohol

but one thing I found that worked really well was that 3M tar, wax, and adhesive remover (I think they actually label it as wax stripper). Problem is it costs like $5+ for a little 8 or 12oz. can. However, after comparing labels I found that it's really just laquer thinner. You can buy that stuff much cheaper. I honestly don't know what it costs myself, as my dad is a painting contractor and I just use whatever he's got handy when I need it. You should be able to find it at most hardware stores. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gunk Remover

Good ole Ronsonol lighter fluid works great too.....and doesn't harm the paint like an acetone based product would

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I used a wheel that chucks in my drill - $17 at my automotive paint supply store. Works like a charm on the tape stripes and decals. Only problem I had was my drill wanting to get hot.... It looks to be made of the same stuff as an eraser only a little harder. Don't have name handy for the one I bought but 3M calls it a Stripe Off wheel and the boat supply place wanted $50 for the 3M version. The guy at the paint store seemed to be familiar with the 3M product and sold me this other instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts