TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: YES I DID SEARCH, but did not find anything that helped.

Well, to make a long story short, we had some issues last week with a misfire that was resolved with a set of plug wires. However, since the wires were changed, I now have a slight hesitation under load with the factory MAF housing in place.

With the 76mm C&L MAF housing, the thing pings like there's no tomorrow. I bought it from a guy on here that told me it was calibrated for the stock injectors, however the sample tube looks to be larger than the tube on the factory MAF. As of now I am running the factory housing, and get a hesitation/slight bucking when the motor is under load (either in a high gear at low speed while trying to accelerate, or around the 1/2 throttle range in a lower gear under acceleration). It did this with all of the factory parts installed, and with the mods listed in my sig (minus the C&L MAF of course),

I have cleaned the MAF sensor a couple times, with no resolution to the problem. Checked to see what the plugs looked like, and they seem to be good as well. The plug wires are new, and I am getting spark out of each coil. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm stumped on this one. :zdunno:

Should also mention that the MAF was replaced before I drove to New Jersey and is still under warranty. Its got maybe 5k miles on it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It did this with all of the factory parts installed
you really should fix all mechanical issues before doing such mods. Doing mods on top of a already bad running engine will only compound your problems and is downright foolish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the factory parts on to see if it would change anything. It ran great with the aftermarket parts installed until the misfire developed. Put the plug wires on it, and the misfire was gone but now the hesitation is there. No change when the original parts were swapped for the aftermarket parts.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Then you still have work to do. Have you not read how "calibrated" mafs are complete junk? If you ran too lean and damaged something in the process then your hesitation is here to stay, regardless of whether or not you put back your stock parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm aware that I still have work to do, hence why I made a thread and did a search for ideas on where to go from here. I did not read anything about "calibrated" MAFS being junk until maybe an hour ago during my search. That being said, I ran for maybe 10 minutes around town with it on there. I highly doubt anything internally is damaged though. I was asking for help, not a lecture.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Believe me, I am trying to help you. Countless others before you have walked the same exact path. Here at TCCoA University, I am a tenured professor. Lectures are free here, and are given at will whether you like it or not.

That aside, you could have easily damaged a spark plug by running it too lean, or fouling it running too lean. You've done one of those two from running that garbage MAF that you don't even need nor have the ability to account for it in the computer. Have you checked the plugs?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well had I not been told that it was "calibrated" I would have never bought it. I even asked the seller if I needed a tune to run it, and his reply was no because it was already under a calibration for 19 lb/hr injectors. I just figured the sample tube was the same size, and the rest of the MAF housing was just larger and increased airflow.

I have not checked the plugs since before I returned it back to stock, and then put the bigger tb and intake arm back on it. They looked good from what I could tell. The car idles fine, runs great under normal driving conditions, and on the highway, just has a slight hesitation under load. I can always recheck them though. I was thinking it could be a TPS issue or another faulty MAF sensor as well.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I was thinking it could be a TPS issue or another faulty MAF sensor as well.
Either one is likely, since you changed them - or a combination of both. The TPS needs to be adusted during installation to set to a specific voltage with the throttle closed. Modifying your whole intake system according to your signature can definately cause a hesitation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the current MAF was known to be working last prior to the plug wire install. I did not know that the tps needed calibrating prior to install. The new throttle body came with one that was said to be working. I guess I have a new search now for an article/thread on tps calibration. I will also check the plugs tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: unplugged the MAF to see what would happen, and it ran worse. Guess that rules out a faulty MAF sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts