TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 4.6 Cougar and the thing pings like crazy under load at low rpms (like on up shifts) and at higher rpms under load (heavier acceleration) but only after it is totally warmed up. I’ve gotten Lean codes a few times and it is almost always an entire system lean code not just one bank. I figured maybe it was the O2’s since it was pining when warm, guessing it was perhaps not pining when in Open Loop. After hooking up my scanner I realized it was not pining in Closed Loop as well when the car was still not up to full operating temp. We are talking about not pinging even when the coolant is just a tad under 190 so the temps are pretty damn close to normal at that point.

I'm not having any idle or surging issues but I did remove the MAF which looked very clean to me. I still cleaned it on two separate occasions and then reset the PCM via negative disconnect, still pings. My intake blew so while replacing it I checked to see if the EGR was clogged up and the thing was clean. Checked all the vacuum lines while it was apart they all seemed rubbery and flexible no dry rote or visible leaks.

Next I’m going to replace my fuel filter and I’m thinking it may be related to my ignition system since I think I’m detecting a slight misfire while under heavy load at low rpms (such as going up a hill in a 3rd or 4th).

Anyone else have any other ideas what else I should check or try?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
definately wouldn't hurt to seafoam the top end and run some premium through it, see if that helps. Definately one of the cheeper solutions.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
I had pinging, but only with the engine under high load (both low and high RPM) in 3rd and 4th gears. I Seafoamed the engine, changed the plugs (stock with 107k on them... 50% overgappped) and cleaned the MAF (in that order) then the pings vanished. I also got the occasional lean code - a lean running engine will ping.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I prolly run rich; I never ping and get crummy (14 combined and 210miles/16 gallon tank) gas mileage.

I'll seafoam my machine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a 96 the plugs are original with a little over 60K on em and they should be factory gapped. Guess I'll give the plugs a try too when I change the oil and replace the fuel filter. Plus I had already planned on seafoaming the engine as well via the brake boost line before the oil change. Hopefully this will solve it because I'm going nuts lol. Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Are the plug wire original?

Are the o2 sensors original?

How long since you cleaned the maf?

That is the top three in my list of things to check on my cars...

·
Registered
917 Posts
i've been experiencing the same thing lately. i never hear the pinging unless the car is in gear. in park i've revved it to redline just to check, and no pinging. i put mid-grade gas in it and it stopped completely. i've floored it in first gear all the way til it shifted and no pinging. so, after reading all your responses, what would be the best course of action? just seafoam the top end and fuel tank? spark plugs have maybe 20k on them and they're autolite or motorcraft platimun, can't remember and yes they're gapped propperly. my cats need to be replaced before this july for smog. could that help the problem?

·
Registered
187 Posts
My blue bird was pinging real bad a few years ago...was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem was. Mine was simple, I fixed it by putting die-electric grease on my spark plug wires.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My blue bird was pinging real bad a few years ago...was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem was. Mine was simple, I fixed it by putting die-electric grease on my spark plug wires.
Funny I just got new wires in the mail yesterday along with my UCA's. I've been running it on super and I don't get much pinging as of lately hopefully after a seafoaming and new plugs and wires it'll run on regular. I may also have a vacuum leak because I just recently started getting the evap code so that may well have to due with my leaking a the few times I got lean codes.

I did replace the fuel filter but that wasn't it but of well most of this stuff needs replacing anyway. I doubt it is the O2 sensors since my fuel economy is still good and pretty much in tune to what is has been since my father bought it new. Ill figure it out eventually lol.

·
Registered
704 Posts
lean bank1 and lean bank 2 are 99.99999% of the time vacuum leaks..

·
Registered
704 Posts
i never hear the pinging unless the car is in gear. in park i've revved it to redline just to check, and no pinging.

well yea.. that makes sense.

Free revving is not high load as it would be if you were at the same RPM at WOT in gear.

neutral free revs test/mean nothing... your not testing under the same conditions that the issue occurs, so it's not valid, nor of any consequence.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

How old, how many miles on the spark plugs?
What are they gapped at?​
Thats what I was going to ask , my pinging issues were due to the gap in the
spark plugs was too much!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It all comes down to maintenance 99.9% of the time....the rest of the cases are usually due to the age of our cars

The entire year of 2010 should be designated as "take car of your freakin car year"
its funny, you'd have a better chance of telling someone they had a small penis than trying to convince them they have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Since the gas change, mine requires middle grade gas or it's a pinger.

It still does a little bit on 89 and never on 93. And different makes of gas have different effects. Diamond Shamrock is the worst gas ever.

95 4.6

1 - 20 of 61 Posts