TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is really buggin the crap out of me.. I have a 95 T-bird w/ the 4.6 and it pings when i get on it. i tried better gas and still does it. Also tried Octane boost and that helped a little bit but still does it.. So what can i do?? My little brother worked at a lincoln dealer a few years ago and he said that thay were pulling something under the hood that retarded the timing and when it was pulled it bumped the timing up and that solved the problem but i dont know anything about it..:confused: If anyone can help it would be great..

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Jonnyboy said:
Ok this is really buggin the crap out of me.. I have a 95 T-bird w/ the 4.6 and it pings when i get on it. i tried better gas and still does it. Also tried Octane boost and that helped a little bit but still does it.. So what can i do?? My little brother worked at a lincoln dealer a few years ago and he said that thay were pulling something under the hood that retarded the timing and when it was pulled it bumped the timing up and that solved the problem but i dont know anything about it..:confused: If anyone can help it would be great..
It's called the octane plug and it retards the timing by pulling it. Increasing the timing would increase the knock. It is a grey plug on the passenger side right by the MAF and Airbox. Comes right out of the wiring in that black plastic cover like the MAF does.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a chip, and ever since I got it, I absolutely REFUSED to put any octane in my car but 93.

But, my car had a serious problem w/ pinging. Drove me crazy.

Just about an hour ago, I went over to AutoZone and bought some "Off Road NOS" octane booster. I paid $10 for the bottle. Wouldn't pay that every tank of gas, I'm not completely insane...

Anyway, before I even got home my car was absolutely quiet (well, the pinging was gone anyway) : ) I was very impressed.

Also, while I was in line to pay for my octane boost. A guy walked up to me and said, "You know that stuff really doesn't work." I told him I knew, but, I had a serious ping and I just wanted to see.

He told me he uses good old fashion rubbing alcohol. I think he said, one of those "regular" sized bottles to every tank will bring your octane up to 100 easily.

He also told me that getting a cooler thermostat would help as well.

I don't know if the alcohol thing is a good idea, or what the deal is. But, I'm these TCCoA guys will either all reply one way, or we'll have another debate on our hands. I guess it's worth asking though. It's a lot cheaper than paying an additional ten bones a tank for some octane booster.

Hope this helped at least a little.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Doesn't rubbing alcohol have water in it?

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Jonnyboy said:
:mad: Ok now im really pissed I filled my tank with ultra 94 + the booster and the dam thing still pings WTF??? now the check engine light is on, most likely a sensor cause its running rich now... I give up..
Anyone????? Come on someone must know something here..:confused:
Go to autozone and get the code read, might actually have something to do with what's causing the knock.

·
Registered
244 Posts
what have you done to your car as far as mods? putting in some colder plugs and a lower temp t stat would help, but would probably only mask the problem. the octane pin is also a short term solution. there is probably an issue with your car causing it to run lean.

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Yeah I had a massive air leak that was causing my knocking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't done anything to it yet I just got it a week ago. I had 2 cougars a 90 and 91 before this car both with the 3.8s.. This car is a dog off the line, both of the cougars would beat it from a stop but anyway I was thinking about doing something to the tranny to help it shift a little better but im not sure where to start with it. It runs really good other than the pinging and the shifting.

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Jonnyboy said:
I haven't done anything to it yet I just got it a week ago. I had 2 cougars a 90 and 91 before this car both with the 3.8s.. This car is a dog off the line, both of the cougars would beat it from a stop but anyway I was thinking about doing something to the tranny to help it shift a little better but im not sure where to start with it. It runs really good other than the pinging and the shifting.
Um.. if the 3.8s would take the 4.6 then you definately have something wrong with it. Do you hear anything like air rushing out of something when you have the hood popped and the car cranked? Maybe the codes are for EGR or DPFE? Clean the MAF (in the tech articles). While you are in the tech articles look at the first three in the Transmission area to see what you should do the tranny.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to auto zone today and had the codes read and it it came up with 2 "too lean" codes.. I put new gas in this morning with no boost and hasten came back on.. the guy is telling me that I need a fuel regulator, but I still don't think that's the problem.. It might be though, maybe its not getting enough fuel and that's why its pinging. I don't know I guess im going to have to start dumping money into this pig to get it so im happy with it..

·
Registered
146 Posts
My check engine light came on and I went to Auto Zone too. I also had two too lean codes. It's the oxygen sensors. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
your lean codes is from additional air coming into the engine from somewhere. u have more air than fuel. thus causing your lean code. first thing i would do is to check for vacuum leaks and then make sure the maf is clean. the pinging is spark knock caused by too much air and not enough fuel that can definitely caused by a dirty maf sensor. my friend had the same exact problem when he bought his bird cleaned maf and was gone. might want to do a pcm reset by pulling fuse 15 i believe. this is not my usual method of a pcm reset but if u dont want to undo your battery for a few min it all works the same. i usually use fords WDS.:D i guess i have a few advantages while working at ford.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its fixed

She is all better now.....I stoped to see a friend that works for a ford dealer and put in a Mass AirFlow Sensor that list price is $213.62 + as you guys know, but I ended up paying 113.14 thanks to my friend.. So im happy that it dont ping no more and it has a lot more pick up but one thing, Now i need to fix my wheel hopping. :rolleyes: I tell ya it never ends.. Thanks for all your help..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts