TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I called PST for a replacement aluminum driveshaft - I had the 62.5" dim. and the 58.20" dim. from your sticky, but Ron also needed the bolt hole spacing for the pinion flange. Center to center. Anyone have that? I can't measure because the car is 30 miles away getting the engine,trans, and gas tank removed for my long over due DOHC swap.
Thanks for any help.
Wow - just looked at my "what I got info" that engine has been in the crate for 10 years !! Cracked firewall hung me up.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, perhaps I worded my question incorrectly.
In my searching, I have found that some use the 1330 universal joint on the pinion flange, some use two 1330 caps but with two 1350 caps 90 degrees opposite.
The drive shaft that is, or by now was, in the Bird is the original and it bolted right up to the Lincoln differential.
Any thoughts?
edit: I'm thinking if I give PST the joint size, that may satisfy the bolt hole spacing requirement.

·
Super Moderator
17,040 Posts
1330 and 1350 u joints are the same dimensions overall, the latter is just heavier duty with larger diameter caps. There are two different companion/pinions flanges used on 8.8s, and both MN12 and FN10 use the smaller of the two, and I think they only came with 1330 sized holes. The larger flange found on trucks and P71 Crown Vic’s can accomidate both 1330 or 1350 with the corresponding flange for them. In other words, if you tell the driveshaft shop you have 1330 joints, you could end up with either a small(correct) flange, or the large(wrong) flange, since both used that U joint.

I might have my stock companion flange in a box somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it later today and get the hole spacing.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info, and good job Matt.
Here's to hoping you find that box.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I have a 8.8 rear and a stock driveshaft in my shop. Are you looking for the spacing of the bolts or the diameter of the u-joint caps, or both? I can get all of that this evening.

Edit: Just saw you are in Pensacola. Hello neighbor.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello there jco1385,
Well, from 1988 to April of this year I was at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. Made several trips to
Mobile to fix broke down T-45s. Your tunnel always scared the heck out if me in heavy traffic- 60mph one second- 10mph the next- back to 60 immediatley- then 30mph then fog out of no where. Can't believe i survived those trips. I'm in Arkansas now. A bit slower pace here.
But anyway, yes both please. PST guy said center to center but cup size will be a bonus too.
Thank you for offering to help. Those shafts are pricey- $599 for the shaft-$100 for the yoke-
$60 for something else that I can't read what I wrote down. It's maybe a tree letter word that starts with a L or an e and ends with what looks like a g.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Matt !!!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driveshaft has been ordered-

Thank you all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts