TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have "half" a MAC cold air intake. It goes down into the fender where the air silencer used to be, and goes into the MAF, but from the MAF i have that violin box, and it looks ugly and i would hope a pipe of some sort would look nicer. Anyone have any ideas, or seen anything for a 1995 center entrance throttle body?

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Not sure if RichardM is still making them, but he makes a sweet intake from the MAF to the T-body for 94-95 Birds and cougs...I have one on each of my cars...Go to the TCCOA.com site and look in the gallery...there is a section for custom intakes, etc...also, before anyone else says it..."Use the search feature"...it will save you time and typing :)

Shane & Heather

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry....thought someone might have seen a creative cheap way to do it...like i've heard a certain Civic pipe is the perfect size, but i thought that was just wierd

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
I noticed a little more tourque, and it changed the sound of the exaust (Better, MUCH better sounding)...Other than that...I dunno if anyone has done a dyno comparison or anything...I just know that it is Grade A workman ship and EXCELLENT support from Ruchard...Looks as professional as can be!

Shane & Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Here in awhile...depending on the rate of my parts pick ups...I'll have a RichardM up for sale, I'm going to switch every thing over on top to 96/7 model and go with the 02 GT tube. PM me if you're interested.

Joe

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Oh yes and one more thing-Richard's tubes are very stylish. I think those are the best looking intakes i have ever seen on the 94/5's.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Primalzer1995 said:
Sorry....thought someone might have seen a creative cheap way to do it...like i've heard a certain Civic pipe is the perfect size, but i thought that was just wierd
Yeah.....I've heard that as well.......but I think the Civic pipe was a cheap alternative for the '96/'97 guys. The RichardM tube sounds like the best way to go, and his aren't that expensive.

Oh.......and this is just a suggestion.......don't use the MAC elbow tube and just mount the cone filter where the stock air box used to be. I have the MAC Cold air intake set up on my '97 Cougar. Last Aug., I went through some high water...only about 2-3 inches high, at idle speed and ended up Hydro-locking the motor and bent the #8 connecting rod.....which led to an entire re-build. I would suggest this to anyone using any cold air intake setup that mounts the filter in the fender. Again, just a suggestion to keep ya from going thru the headache I went through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, the civic tube works... with a little work. It needs to be squished slightly to clear the valvecover/hood pinch point. Also, one fitting needs to be cut off and sealed (faces down and hits the intake manifold just before the TB) and you need to either weld a bung on the side of the pipe or put a little K&N breather on the driver side valvecover.
My patented HP meter (read: seat-o-pants) says a good 5-10HP gain... but the best feature is the deep breathing intake sound when you mash the gas (really noticeable at 3K and above). Just removed mine for the cali smog BS. I'll be putting it back in tonight or tomorrow. It looks almost like BlackCat94's pipe. You use the TB fitting from the violin case, and the flex hose from the MAF. Pretty easy. I think I paid $29.95 for the intake on ebay and $8 or so for the little K&N breather.

The positive is that it's a nice polished piece of alum. pipe, the negative is that alum. conducts heat... After a good drive the metal is hot enough for a 1st degree burn.:eek:

All in all, I couldn't beat the price and I liked the sound (likened to the first K&N I put on my old 5.0)

·
Registered
225 Posts
PSI-Clone said:
Well, the civic tube works... with a little work. It needs to be squished slightly to clear the valvecover/hood pinch point. Also, one fitting needs to be cut off and sealed (faces down and hits the intake manifold just before the TB) and you need to either weld a bung on the side of the pipe or put a little K&N breather on the driver side valvecover.
Pretty much the same thing I found. I ended up having to cut the tube and splice it with a rubber elbow from home depot to clear the fuel rails, and connect to the acordian tube after the MAF, but all in all I'm very happy. I also am using half of the MAC intake. Since I still had the upper portion for the 96/97s laying around I used a rubber gasket from one of the holes and the opaque hose connector thing to connect the valve cover breather to a hole I drilled.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I didn't really have to modify my Civic intake tube at all. I didn't really have the time then; I had to get to work, but it works.

First I tightened the clamp from the rubber connector to the intake tube, because it was always slipping out if I tightened the throttle body clamp first.

I had to seat it in there just right, and I believe it sits on the fuel rail. My hood wouldn't close at first, so I ripped my insulation off.(Hey, nobody needs that anyways).

At the end of the tube, I have a rubber 3" plumbing connector to the accordion, then that goes into the MAF. After the MAF, I have another rubber connector and that goes to my cone filter.

For the breather, I just got a open element one from AutoZone.
If you don't want to grind stuff off, just fool around with it a little and you should get it to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts