TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
Are you planning on using the resonators as mufflers? That could be interesting.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
109 Posts
You're going to have an issue with the passenger side exhaust pipe past the fuel tank. Look at those pics, the driver side pipe ends up farther to the outer edge of the car than at the beginning (at the x-pipe). But the passenger side pipe ends up almost in line with where it started (at the x-pipe), it will run into the differential. I know, my exhaust guy had to cut that pipe (at the diagonal after the fuel tank) and move it farther out towards the outer edge of the car (~8 inches of pipe). I will now have a 2nd exhaust guy deal with that as well as add v-bands to allow removing portions of the exhaust (everything is currently all welded together because of that pipe length mistake and the Magnaflow cat pipes being not quite level at the end where they would normally meet the resonator) and replace those straight sections parallel to the driveshaft (before where the stock pipe 'y' is) with curved versions so that the pipes can tuck up higher like stock (notice that 'w' bend on the stock exhaust pipe that is next to the driver side rear lower control arm), the straight versions must hang lower so as to not hit any of the suspension.

·
The Parts Guy
7,727 Posts
You're going to have an issue with the passenger side exhaust pipe past the fuel tank. Look at those pics, the driver side pipe ends up farther to the outer edge of the car than at the beginning (at the x-pipe). But the passenger side pipe ends up almost in line with where it started (at the x-pipe), it will run into the differential. I know, my exhaust guy had to cut that pipe (at the diagonal after the fuel tank) and move it farther out towards the outer edge of the car (~8 inches of pipe). I will now have a 2nd exhaust guy deal with that as well as add v-bands to allow removing portions of the exhaust (everything is currently all welded together because of that pipe length mistake and the Magnaflow cat pipes being not quite level at the end where they would normally meet the resonator) and replace those straight sections parallel to the driveshaft (before where the stock pipe 'y' is) with curved versions so that the pipes can tuck up higher like stock (notice that 'w' bend on the stock exhaust pipe that is next to the driver side rear lower control arm), the straight versions must hang lower so as to not hit any of the suspension.
Yep, that's a pretty glaring mistake on the part of Trubendz. That pipe looks like it would like dead smack in the center of the diff from those photos.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,491 Posts
I had the same issue when I was laying out my SS trubendz pipes, my solution was to space them wider, which worked out since I use a SN95 H pipe where the pipes are wider anyway, but had to pry and bend on the tank heat shield a bit so they wouldn’t rub. You can see how much wider I spaced my pipes

IMO what screwed up these kits was the universal X pipe, these pipes original jigs were originally designed with a front half with converging pipes to form an X and the spacing was much different if you look at pics of those old setups.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I practically begged Trubendz for dimensional drawings which they absolutely refuse to share.
Now I know why...
I suspected as much, and that is why I laid them out like that. Thanks for the heads up, Trubendsz so far has not been a good vendor.
They shipped both my kits in one box and charged me 25+31 for the convenience, not bothering to advise me as a good vendor would. They would not supply even rudimentary drawings. There is obviously a real error in design they are covering up.

I am not impressed, and I will share it with them.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,484 Posts
They went above and beyond to address issues I had 10 years ago with their first design with the in-house welded X pipe. That's when they redesigned it to use the universal X, and that worked much better for me. It's sad to see that service mentality has died.

Here were the issues with the old front half before they redesigned it for me.

1) Angles off - downpipes nowhere near the manifolds and the custom X outlets are not parallel, and hangers a few inches too far forward

2) When bolted to the manifolds, there is no way to get the pipes lined up without creating exhaust leaks

3) O2 sensor bung in the wrong place

Here was their redesign. I don't think I have pictures of the actual pipes...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just sent Josh at Trubendz an email.

I pointed out he refused to give me drawing copies.

I identified the shipping issue.

I also identified the design flaw.

I asked for consideration for Ocelot for the shipping. I asked for consideration regarding the design flaw on behalf of the 20,000 member group they are directly targeting with these kits.

I will advise any news or information that comes back from Trubendz.

RD

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, that's a pretty glaring mistake on the part of Trubendz. That pipe looks like it would like dead smack in the center of the diff from those photos.
It would be just to the side but definitely hitting. My first shot at it, once I was already committed to doing this (muffler guy had already removed old leaky stock pipes and started with the install), was to have the passenger pipe cut and extended. But both straight sections are still too low in order to avoid the rear lower control arm mounting brackets (mufflers are easily seen from the side). Round two will be getting those 'w' bends put in on both sides (or I guess a 'w' and an 'm', hahaha) along with v-bands and hopefully some Torino type exhaust tips (can't stand that bend down stock look, it just looks like plumbing pipe). Still, except for that passenger side not being extended out enough, they fit pretty good.

stock_thunderbird_pipes_mods.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since these photos were taken and given the responses from members I took the time to dry fit my kits to my car. I have shared this with Trubendz.

As near as I can tell without actually tightly bolting the kits together, these kits both fit the car perfectly. I did not actually hang the system with the provided hangers; I loosely assembled all the components and propped the system up to the car. I also temporary hung the system loosely with wire ties where it was possible.

The pipes are nice and smooth, the bends are clean and not out of round. All the cut ends are deburred, all the flare ends are square, and the pipes go together easily. And yes, best of all, it looks like they are just right.

RD

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The big trick will be getting the left manifold to work out...I am saving for headers.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
I feel bad for you. I'm lucky I have an excellent custom exhaust guy here in Las Vegas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts