TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a set (front and rear) for my Mossberg 500, but I've heard bad things about perceived recoil being worse. Thoughts, anyone?

20" barrel, extended magazine, 12 gauge, if that makes any difference.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
The only reason to do such a thing would be if you need to store it in a small space such as on a boat. Don't count on it being any good for much range.

Nobody wants their wrist to absorb buckshot and slug recoil.

Pointability is greatly diminished.

Accuracy is severely hindered.

The Balance is way off.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason to do such a thing would be if you need to store it in a small space such as on a boat. Don't count on it being any good for much range.

Nobody wants their wrist to absorb buckshot and slug recoil.

Pointability is greatly diminished.

Accuracy is severely hindered.

The Balance is way off.
I know shotguns aren't point-and-shoot like the movies, but it'd be for, um, home usage. Longest shot I'd be taking, should the situation arise, is 10'. My hallways are narrow, so maneuverability is a factor. I just didn't know how bad the recoil was, as I've never fired a shotgun with just the pistol grip.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I've handled a 500 in the exact configuration that you're talking about (both with a stock and with the Mossberg pistol grip). Black cat is pretty much spot on with his assessment of them. And yes, your wrist is going to take more of the recoil and it's not all that pleasant. If you are set on a pistol grip, look into the Knoxx Breacher Grip.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
my primary home defense is a moss-berg model 500 persuader with the stock grip in front but pistol grip in the back, recoils not that bad with bird shot, buck shot it is a little noticeable, but slugs are wrist beaters, lol, cant beat it for the maneuverability though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i've got a mossberg 835. 3" chamber, 10 gauge barrel assault rifle rear grip (buttstock AND pistol grip:D) and a pistol grip on the front. i LOVE the assault rifle grip on a gauge, but the front grip kinda wants to twist to the side.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that's the setup I was looking at, maybe getting a front pistol grip as well. I'm interested in the Tac-Star brand, they look comfortable. Either that or the Speedfeed 0394s.

And no, I don't want the gun all mall-ninja'd out like the first picture, just the two grips.

My home load is one round of 7-1/2 birdshot followed all by 4 buck.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
i dunno what brand my grip is, it may be the tacstar, it has no wording on it besides the release lever with thumb only message on it, it has been so long since i got it, 7 plus years ago, lol, senior moment, hehe, and the front grip looked cool but was wierd feeling once you actually held it, so i sold that off and had the stock front reinstalled, feels better to me that way, my home load is 7 shells worth of non plated buck. ;)

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...? Yes, and?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the side-mounted shotshell holders. I've got the extended mag tube already - if seven shots isn't enough, I've got bigger problems. It's not like I'm fighting a protracted battle, just home defense, really.

As for the collapsible stock, they aren't legal in NY anyway AFAIK, so that's out. Plus I don't much like the way it looks.

I do have a light though!

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Mine's all mall ninjafied!

If my 7 shots aren't enough, I have some really big problems and I have 2 slugs and 4 rds of buckshot handy.

I don't care for the collapsible stock one bit, it was sure cheap though (Cabela's Bargain Cave), and it soaks up recoil with it's 2 springs.

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
my primary home defense is a moss-berg model 500 persuader with the stock grip in front but pistol grip in the back, recoils not that bad with bird shot, buck shot it is a little noticeable, but slugs are wrist beaters, lol, cant beat it for the maneuverability though.
Fits under a trenchcoat very nicely, too. :rolleyes:

Mossberg to the right, mac-10 to the right, baretta in the small of the back...

Ready to go check the mail...

:D

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts