TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I won an auction for a set of "Take out" pistons and rods from SHM. Got them today and the tops of the pistons look all chewed up with nicks and "Teeth Marks" in them around the edges as well. Are these usable? Can I just try and file the high metal off and have them balanced? Or am I just SOL?:redmad:

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Pappy said:
So I won an auction for a set of "Take out" pistons and rods from SHM. Got them today and the tops of the pistons look all chewed up with nicks and "Teeth Marks" in them around the edges as well. Are these usable? Can I just try and file the high metal off and have them balanced? Or am I just SOL?:redmad:
Nope-totally useless.
JL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please tell me that you are being sarcastic, because I am about to flip out on SHM. :ztoohot:

·
3,232 Posts
Pappy said:
Please tell me that you are being sarcastic, because I am about to flip out on SHM. :ztoohot:
You've got a PM reply..
JL

·
Registered
337 Posts
did you get them off e-bay? if you did, are they flat tops with rods from a 99/01 cobra? Because I was considering getting a set?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, those are the ones. They are actually not flat-tops, but 3 cc dished. Anyway, they are going back to SHM tonight. After talking to JL, I think its just too risky to put in my car. I am just going to order them from Dan Newman. If I had hosting space, I would post a picture or two so you could see what I am talking about. The rods look fine, but all eight pistons are pretty beat up for being "Brand New Take Outs", as they put it.

Fast96Tbird said:
did you get them off e-bay? if you did, are they flat tops with rods from a 99/01 cobra? Because I was considering getting a set?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The didn't mention they were brand new Take Outs that had been thrown across the shop in a improptu game of dodgeparts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich95XR7 said:
The didn't mention they were brand new Take Outs that had been thrown across the shop in a improptu game of dodgeparts.
Lol:uppoint: !! I can actually picture that as it happens occasionally in my shop, but with Jet parts!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rando76 said:

I hope you don't work in the blade shop! :D
Nah, I am in the PowerPlant Division, although I am not sure a blade has anything on a 3rd stage turbine wheel getting frisbee'd at your head!! The blade shop guys just hit things with hammers....:D

·
3,232 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
pappy; you now have learned a basic rule of dealing with Hyland's... you must count your fingers after shaking hands with those guys....they were sellin' "new" 5.4 L '99 engines a few years ago.... truth was the engines could be 97, or '98, s but werenot for resale, as they were experimental natural gas engines.. which they probably rescued from a dumpster or the dump, and were totally clueless as to what they were... John Miller got one with rocks in the cylinders! Mine had all the coil packs cut off the harness, a prototype hi pressure non return fuel rail, and 160# fuel injectors, go figure, and also crappo cams that didnt make power... i got lucky and ended up with experimental after mkt rods , and lord only knows what kinda pistons, so it wasnt a total loss, bot the learning curve wasnt easy..Miller got rid of the rocks and switched to PI heads, but his block also had the N.G.experimental serial number...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts