TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go get 2 tires replaced in the last month, warranty work.

Anyways, They asked if I wanted the 2 new tires on the back of the car. They have a little sheet on the counter explaining the new found phenomenon of putting them in the back rather than the front wheels (seems to be the traditional way, and the way I always did it). I declined to move them due to the directional wheels so both new tires are on one side.

Is this new tire placement rear vs. front new? Everyone I run with and know runs new tires on the front (drive wheels).

What are y'all thought? Discuss...

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Since when are the front tires the drive wheels?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
When I change all 4 tires I burn through a set of rear tires and replace them only, by the time they are burned through for a second time it's time for a whole new set.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,521 Posts
I've got my newest tires on the rear (easier to recover from understeer is the idea), no issues so far.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Since when are the front tires the drive wheels?
The fronts are the drive wheels because they are the ones you steer the car with; not because they are the wheels that propel the car. Like '96project-bird said just bad wording although I'm not sure what the proper term would be ...

Anyway, that's the reason you replace the fronts if you're only going to replace two tires. You want your traction to be on the wheels that direct the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The reason you put the new tires on the rear is because of counter steering. If the back tires slide you have to steer the opposite direction of the skid. For some people this task can take a bit of thought or indecision. If the fronts slide you can immediately correct. Also it would seem to me if all the traction is in the front, this could actually drag the tires with less traction around. I've always driven ford vans at work and always put the new in the rear. They wear out front tires so fast that I don't ever rotate them.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had to go get 2 tires replaced in the last month, warranty work.

Anyways, They asked if I wanted the 2 new tires on the back of the car. They have a little sheet on the counter explaining the new found phenomenon of putting them in the back rather than the front wheels (seems to be the traditional way, and the way I always did it). I declined to move them due to the directional wheels so both new tires are on one side.

Is this new tire placement rear vs. front new? Everyone I run with and know runs new tires on the front (drive wheels).

What are y'all thought? Discuss...
You couldnt decide front or back so you put new tires on ONE SIDE of the car????:zwall:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha...I put them on one side because those are the wheels that needed tires replaced and I didn't care to pay to dismount and remount the tires. Flame if you will.

So the idea behind it as all about countersteer? I always learned to replace the fronts so they had traction to turn.

And thanks for backing me up TM...I don't know what to call it either!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I always put the better tires in the rear as I know they're gonna wear out faster. as they do I rotate them to the front and let the still fresh front tires have fun in the back.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I believe Costco will only put two new tires on the rear. No matter whether it's FWD or RWD. I've never heard of putting two new tires on the same side, that's a new one!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,521 Posts
With regards to that... I wonder if there's a way to identify optimal stem/stud alignment for those of us who have replaced bearings/hubs (provided it even makes a difference)?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I believe Costco will only put two new tires on the rear. No matter whether it's FWD or RWD. I've never heard of putting two new tires on the same side, that's a new one!
Exactly why I pointed that out. Any reputable shop would have NEVER put two new tires on one side of the car. Fronts, rears...... yea, but never one side.

I just put 2 new tires on my bird and they went on the rear. My reasoning....... I have some suspension work to do on the front of the car. Once that's done I'm getting 2 new fronts and an alignment. That being said, I usually put the new ones in the back of a RWD car(provided the fronts arent trashed, in that case replace all 4), in a FWD car I always did the opposite. Never failed me yet in 15 years of driving.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, it's wasn't the shops decision. All my tires have exceptional tread, they were replaced due to side wall blemishes. So rather than paying to change my directional wheels I just put the news where the "olds" came off. Y'all are arguing a point that is not the issue.

Again same side because that's where the issue was, no other reason. There are not bald tires on one side and drastically new tires on the other!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So debate is: 2 new tires on front or 2 new tires on back? Give rationale.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
front for me, as those are the tires that steer the car.....sure you can steer with the go fast pedal, but thats not what this is about...in a emergency controlled situation, I would be using the brakes, and steering......knowing that my front tires are good to hold the traction.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
front for me, as those are the tires that steer the car.....sure you can steer with the go fast pedal, but thats not what this is about...in a emergency controlled situation, I would be using the brakes, and steering......knowing that my front tires are good to hold the traction.

X2 ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts