TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my planetary gear is taking a [email protected]$# on my 94 but I can't understand why this even happened.

Speaking to my cousin who is a Senior Master tech for Ford and has been working on Fords for almost 30 years he said he has never seen one go bad on a 4R70W...

Car was my brother-in-laws and before that his mothers. Looks like trans has always been maintained, fluid is currently clean.

Trans has 134K on it and felt "perfect" before the "rocks in trans" sounds started. LOL

Wondering if I just have bad luck here or did something happen? I don't think the trans is worth fixing since the planetary gear is pricey even at 10% over cost. So I will eventually go the route of a used trans. From what I've read on here my best bet is to upgrade to a newer 4R70W and swap a couple little parts. :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like bad luck with a bit of bad advice from your cousin.
Just becasue he's been there 30yrs doesn't mean a thing at times. I work with a guy that had 25yrs in with Ford and he had never seen the broken accumulator spring before from a 4R70W. I gave him 2 of the ones I had personally as souveniers and a copy of about a dozen or so posts from different forums of it happening to others, as he argued left and right that it wasn't likely... ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL thanks Icarus!

I'm not saying he can't be wrong I'm just trying to say this isn't common at all.

I have never owned anything with a 4.6L or a 4R70W but I went into this knowing it was a proven powertrain and should be a good daily. Guess not...

Just another reason why I don't trust automatics, they seem to have a mind of their own! :(

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Jerry's Epistle notes some weaknesses in the earliest Planetary's vice newer ones - After 16 YEARS I'd say you got your money's worth~!

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
From what I've read here, driving in 1st or 2nd for long periods of time can overheat the planetaries, and make them fail.

I've not heard of that breaking, tho. It does get hot, however. That may have been one of many of the problems with the red Cougars original tranny...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts