TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, plasmas are great, if you get a Pioneer Elite, or at least a Panasonic. Rest are mostly junk.

We've got a Sony BDP-350 Blu-Ray player hooked up to a 52" LG Plasma (52LBX or LB9 or something). Well, when it's flashing the little screen-saver, that's meant to prevent burn-in, no matter what. It's up there on its full brightness for 5 seconds, only 5. There's like a thousand little Blu-Ray logos burned into the LG now. They'll be gone soon, or all blend in if they leave it running, but that's horrible for a TV to do that. The "PLAYLIST" menu from the 3 Doors Down DVD is still burned in from two weeks ago. This is why I tell customers and friends not to cheap out. Don't buy Insignia, Vizio, any of that junk. Completely worthless, just save up for a good TV.

If you're going plasma, Pioneer (or whoever they're going through now) or Panasonic. If you're going LCD, at the very least, Toshiba. I really recommend Samsung or Sony.

That's it, game over, don't be cheap. We dropped the price by $1000 on that LG, so you can get a 52" plasma for $1400, but it sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You get what you pay for with that kinda technology. That is like going to a 3rd world country to get a major surgery just to save money, taking a chance.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Well, plasmas are great, if you get a Pioneer Elite, or at least a Panasonic. Rest are mostly junk.

We've got a Sony BDP-350 Blu-Ray player hooked up to a 52" LG Plasma (52LBX or LB9 or something). Well, when it's flashing the little screen-saver, that's meant to prevent burn-in, no matter what. It's up there on its full brightness for 5 seconds, only 5. There's like a thousand little Blu-Ray logos burned into the LG now. They'll be gone soon, or all blend in if they leave it running, but that's horrible for a TV to do that. The "PLAYLIST" menu from the 3 Doors Down DVD is still burned in from two weeks ago. This is why I tell customers and friends not to cheap out. Don't buy Insignia, Vizio, any of that junk. Completely worthless, just save up for a good TV.

If you're going plasma, Pioneer (or whoever they're going through now) or Panasonic. If you're going LCD, at the very least, Toshiba. I really recommend Samsung or Sony.

That's it, game over, don't be cheap. We dropped the price by $1000 on that LG, so you can get a 52" plasma for $1400, but it sucks.
So the problem you are describing is caused by a burn in from something that was on there constantly, correct?

I don’t know; maybe turn off the items, so that doesn’t happen? How many people leave their TV’s turned on continuously? Granted, it shouldn’t do that, but if it is a difference between $1000 for a TV that doesn’t do that, vs. me turning off the TV when I’m done with it, I’ll save the $1000. :D

I mean, how lazy (or how much are we willing to spend so we don’t have to do anything) can we get? :tongue: :D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
That's surprising to hear. Every other LG product I have had has been pretty high quality for the money.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Just about every plasma TV I've ever seen does that. Mine does, and its no big deal. It only does it when there is a sharp contrast in color. Its gone as soon as the picture changes. Only times I ever really notice it is during the credits of a TV show/movie or the text of commercials.

Besides, my 42" HP plasma was only $365 brand new, so I'm not gonna complain :)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the problem you are describing is caused by a burn in from something that was on there constantly, correct?

I don’t know; maybe turn off the items, so that doesn’t happen? How many people leave their TV’s turned on continuously? Granted, it shouldn’t do that, but if it is a difference between $1000 for a TV that doesn’t do that, vs. me turning off the TV when I’m done with it, I’ll save the $1000. :D

I mean, how lazy (or how much are we willing to spend so we don’t have to do anything) can we get? :tongue: :D
If you watch ESPN, MSNBC, about anything with a bar or logo at the bottom, you'll have those burned in at the same time. The 60" had ESPN2, Discovery HD, and whatever else logo burned into it all at the same time. You could watch one of those channels all day with a Panasonic or especially Pioneer and that wouldn't happen, let alone 5 minutes. It's just crazy that it would do that so quickly. The problem is caused by America having their stuff built in Korea, not by negligence to turn the TV off.

I've heard that HP had their TVs made by LG. HP quit making TVs. It was short-lived, maybe a year or so. The HP display is now our Samsung display.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I like my Vizio 50". No problems whatsoever.
Sometime I notice the images (cartoon network) but they go away.

And I like everything I have owned or sold that's LG. The CD burners I put in computers have been the most reliable I've ever used. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's surprising to hear. Every other LG product I have had has been pretty high quality for the money.
exactly, they are definitely not a generic brand, I have a 42", love it, zero problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like my Vizio 50". No problems whatsoever.
Sometime I notice the images (cartoon network) but they go away.

And I like everything I have owned or sold that's LG. The CD burners I put in computers have been the most reliable I've ever used. :confused:
+1000 on both brands.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What your discribing is call screen retention... The brighter the image the faster it will do this. ALL plasma tv's do this, one of the many reason's i'm not a big fan. It's not screen BURN the image will go away after some time.. Screen burn was from the old CRT projector's where the image would burn and be there forever.. LG makes really good TV's all around.. Sony does not make a plasma only LCD. LCD's will not retain images thats why they are used for computer monitor's. Plasma TV's do have better black lvl's but the new LED LCD's will star making plasma a thing of the past.. IF you have any questions about TV"S, projector's or home theater's I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know.. I have my own side buisness installing Theater's from 1k to over 100k..

·
Registered
45 Posts
The problem is caused by America having their stuff built in Korea, not by negligence to turn the TV off.

I've heard that HP had their TVs made by LG. HP quit making TVs. It was short-lived, maybe a year or so. The HP display is now our Samsung display.
Samsung is a Korean tv manufacturer. So you're dishing out dirt on Korean manufactured electronics and at the same time, recommending one.

Also, LG sells more flat pannels than any other brand in the world through their own name plate and joint ventures.

Nice to see that you know what you are talking about before selling products and coming on here and giving information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What your discribing is call screen retention... The brighter the image the faster it will do this. ALL plasma tv's do this, one of the many reason's i'm not a big fan. It's not screen BURN the image will go away after some time.. Screen burn was from the old CRT projector's where the image would burn and be there forever.. LG makes really good TV's all around.. Sony does not make a plasma only LCD. LCD's will not retain images thats why they are used for computer monitor's. Plasma TV's do have better black lvl's but the new LED LCD's will star making plasma a thing of the past.. IF you have any questions about TV"S, projector's or home theater's I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know.. I have my own side buisness installing Theater's from 1k to over 100k..
thank god, someone popped in with accurate info

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have flip flopped about 30 times, LCD/Plasma/DLP rear projection.

Plasma was my initial want due to the true blacks and handling fast motion. Reasons against it are they are power hogs and the image retention.

LCD I don't like the motion artifacts I see, but I think that is better now and perhaps a lot of what I saw was source compression/artifacts.

DLP and up and down field of vision, but I think that is a lot better now.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I have a Samsung DLP and love it.
Was in the industry when Plasmas first came out....never really liked them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
LCD's are alot better now with 120hz.. They keep up with Fast motion alot better..The up and down image you get on DLP is with any rear projection TV because of the way the light hit's the screen it's focused at a point.. So your going to get the up, down, left and right brightness difrences.. The newer rear projection TV's are alot better then they use to be.. All depends of if you have the room for a rear projection if so I would look at Samsung's new LED rear projection there really nice...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I have a Sony SXRD, their version of DLP and it rocks my calcetines. Also, arent there only a handful of manufacturers for LCD and Plasma screen units worldwide?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a Sony SXRD, their version of DLP and it rocks my calcetines. Also, arent there only a handful of manufacturers for LCD and Plasma screen units worldwide?
I wouldn't call it their version of DLP, since it is a completely different technology... I believe I have the same TV you do, and have yet to have a gripe about it.

Not only are there only a handful of flat panel manufacturers, most of the parts in different brands are usually made by one company. I haven't read up on it in a while, but I believe Samsung and Hitachi are responsible for the bulk of flat panel display parts out there.

LG needs to stick with making refrigerators. I've never liked their displays. My biggest pet peeve with them is they have a very narrow viewing angle. Get too far off center and the picture goes to crap.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I wouldn't call it their version of DLP, since it is a completely different technology... I believe I have the same TV you do, and have yet to have a gripe about it.

Not only are there only a handful of flat panel manufacturers, most of the parts in different brands are usually made by one company. I haven't read up on it in a while, but I believe Samsung and Hitachi are responsible for the bulk of flat panel display parts out there.

LG needs to stick with making refrigerators. I've never liked their displays. My biggest pet peeve with them is they have a very narrow viewing angle. Get too far off center and the picture goes to crap.
yeah i know, LCoS, 3 LCD projection sections, et cetera. But, its for comparison sake.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Liqud Crystal On Silicon is one of the best display technoliges I have seen.. Very fine pixel count.. On a front projector the pixel's are hard to see only a few inches off a 110" screen.. I'm a very big fan on the new Sony front projector's $2700.00 and you can have one of the best picture's money can buy... Very good stuff.. Sony is no longer making rear projections which sucks.. Just front projector's and LCD now...oh and OLED..

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
I just got two new 24" Samsung LCD 1920x1200 widescreen monitors, and they are incredible! They actually are better than the same resolution Trinitron monitors they replaced; better brightness with about the same black level.

I want an 80" version for the living room, now! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts