TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 T-Bird has a black plastic (composite) intake manifold with an aluminum crossover on the front of it. I'm pretty sure that the manifold may at one time have been replaced because I've noticed that someone used masking tape to label all the electrical and vacuum lines as to where they go. Were some of the original all plastic manifolds replaced by Ford under some kind of recall? When did Ford start using the plastic manifolds with the aluminum front crossover? How can I tell if my manifold is a Ford part or a Dorman manifold, which everyone on these forums seems to think is junk?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, they got swapped out under warranty, however it is highly highly likely that at the time it would have been replaced under warranty by Ford it would have been with another plastic crossover intake! Once the revised one was out, the extended warranty no longer covered the 97 mn12s.

I also highly doubt that a Ford service tech would mark the things you list with masking tape.

There are a number of ways to tell Dorman/aftermarket intake with the Ford revised nPI intake. The Dorman doesn't have brass inserts for the COPS (which we don't use, but they would be there on a revised intake, even the Ford replaced intake on my 97 from it blowing out, with the composite crossover had the brass inserts). The Dorman doesn't have brass inserts. I also think that the Dorman doesn't have the big round injection or mold casting at the front of the lower plenum/air chamber that the Ford has.

I wouldn't put a Dorman intake on any of my cars, I put a FRPP PI intake on my 97 Cougar, and a junk yard sourced nPI one on my 2000 Grand Marquis. For someone that isn't an enthusiast, someone that doesn't care about performance, a Dorman would probably be fine, certainly better than a composite crossover intake as far as problems with it cracking for sure.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they got swapped out under warranty, however it is highly highly likely that at the time it would have been replaced under warranty by Ford it would have been with another plastic crossover intake! Once the revised one was out, the extended warranty no longer covered the 97 mn12s.

I also highly doubt that a Ford service tech would mark the things you list with masking tape.

There are a number of ways to tell Dorman/aftermarket intake with the Ford revised nPI intake. The Dorman doesn't have brass inserts for the COPS (which we don't use, but they would be there on a revised intake, even the Ford replaced intake on my 97 from it blowing out, with the composite crossover had the brass inserts). The Dorman doesn't have brass inserts. I also think that the Dorman doesn't have the big round injection or mold casting at the front of the lower plenum/air chamber that the Ford has.

I wouldn't put a Dorman intake on any of my cars, I put a FRPP PI intake on my 97 Cougar, and a junk yard sourced nPI one on my 2000 Grand Marquis. For someone that isn't an enthusiast, someone that doesn't care about performance, a Dorman would probably be fine, certainly better than a composite crossover intake as far as problems with it cracking for sure.
What brass inserts are you talking about? Do you mean the holes where both the temperature sensors screw into the aluminum crossover? I replaced both those sensors when I bought the car, but I don't remember if there were brass inserts in the holes!

Dennis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
At each cylinder, on a high point above where the injector seats. 98+ have individual coils on each plug, and they bolt to those. They are not used on our cars, but I doubt that Ford ever made a revised intake without them, nPI or PI.

In this picture from my 2000 Grand Marquis, right above the injector, and under the fuel line near the pressure regulator, you can see the gold bolt that attaches the COP to the intake. If there is a brass insert there, it is likely a Ford intake. If there is just a hole, than it is likely a Dorman.

And the reason for the picture is for the coolant leak and mess it made, that is fixed and all cleaned up

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Red circle is the insert a Ford intake will have, blue is just for reference, that is the injector hole/seat.

this is the molded in plug thingy at the front, never seen this one a dorman. This would be behind the alternator in the valley.

Also between the middle cylinders on a flat area between the air runners you will find: driver side will have a Ford engineering/long part number, and passenger side will be the Ford emblem.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red circle is the insert a Ford intake will have, blue is just for reference, that is the injector hole/seat.

this is the molded in plug thingy at the front, never seen this one a dorman. This would be behind the alternator in the valley.

Also between the middle cylinders on a flat area between the air runners you will find: driver side will have a Ford engineering/long part number, and passenger side will be the Ford emblem.
Are these pics of an intake manifold with the aluminum crossover removed, or is it a manifold that does NOT have an aluminum crossover?

Dennis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is the old leaking plastic one off the car, I didn't feel like standing in the 106 degree weather in a hot engine compartment to get one of the installed one, however all those points that show what is Ford are the same. Plus it has COPs and that might cloud the issue.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Dorman PI intake also has the second temp sensor hole tapped and plugged near the thermostat. Of course if you can see the bottom, the Dorman has an integrated gasket (red / blue).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts