TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal: I have a 1997 T-bird 4.6l. Less than a year ago I was driving in my car when I noticed a smell of burning coolant. The temperature guage was increasing to H. So I quickly stopped by an automotive supply store called Pep Boys. One of the mechanics and I took a look at what the problem was. He put my car in the stall and took a look at it and noticed that there was a hairline fracture in the intake manifold just underneath the thermostat. I did not want Pep Boys to do the work for me because I had the highest availible factory warranty from Ford. He suggested that in order for me to drive my car to the Ford dealership, he would change the thermostat gasket. After I was finished there, I went to Ford. A day later they gave me a call saying that there is a hairline fracture in the manifold...of course. Unfoutunatly, my warranty will not cover the repair beacuse the mechanic found that the thermostat gasket was newer and they believed that the crack in the manifold was there due to over-tourquing at Pep Boys. So they cannot help me and I have to pay. My whole family argued with the entire management of the dealership. I needed a car for school, so I had to pay close to a thousand dollars for them to replace it.

Is there a recall on these things, what should have I done, what can I do??

Please email or leave a response: [email protected]

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
hope u can understand the info i sent u. and sometimes they will crack near the t-stat or behind the alternator. although over-tightening may have done it too but unlikely.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would fight with Ford's management 1st, or try another dealer. If not, then I'd get Pep Boys to pay for it. Talk to management, and say you'll report them to the BBB if they don't compensate you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cracked Intake

As a matter of fact the intake manifold was on recal, you should have gotten a notice pending on your date you bought the car. I was racin one of my friends at a local track and i saw tons of white smoke through my rearview. Same thing, coolant and steam everywhere. I drove it to Ford and the fixed it for free. Our intakes are made of thin a$$ plastic, so they put a " thicker " peice on. Im in the process of finding a Bullit Mustang intake ( bolts right on to our MN12's)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fight it, I just had mine replaced and Ford covered everything even the towing. They weren't gonna cover the tow bill and all I said was " Who put the S..t manifold in the car?" and he said "Ford" and I said "Thank you very much". The manifolds are crap and they know it and the proof is the few hundred if not thousands of people it has happened to.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi John

I sent an e-mail with attached copy of my repair bill
it will be slow opening !!

Recall #97M91

Good Luck Curt

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sent E-mail - but couldn't get threw to your e-mail address