TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a dashboard part from Pick-Your-Part, the black plastic bezel for the radio/clock area, and it has a broken tab for one of the screws and a broken-off pin with the metal clip. Is super glue the best option for getting those things reattached? Or is there something better for that type of plastic?

Also, there are a few scrapes around the radio area (from the aftermarket stereo install?), can I sand that smooth or will that discolor the plastic?

I wouldn't bother if it were easier to get these parts but Thunderbirds and Cougars are getting real scarce in those boneyards.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Permatex black plastic weld is your friend.

Those plastic weld glues are amazing! I had a connector that had broken into two pieces. I glued it back together with the clear plastic weld, then had to sand it down until it plugged into the socket. I literally spent a couple days messaging that connector, and that glue is stronger than the plastic. Plus it smells gnarly!

Al

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Permatex black plastic weld is your friend.

Those plastic weld glues are amazing! I had a connector that had broken into two pieces. I glued it back together with the clear plastic weld, then had to sand it down until it plugged into the socket. I literally spent a couple days messaging that connector, and that glue is stronger than the plastic. Plus it smells gnarly!

Al
Ok, I'll look into that. But I was hoping to avoid a lot of sanding from plastic build-up which is why I was wondering about the super glue. But I think I remember something about super gluing thin stuff like plastic could turn the surfaces a little mushy? Because of how the chemical reaction works to glue surfaces together. Is that true? I mean is it better for something hard like porcelain?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I assumed you would be gluing from behind. I would still use the plastic glue. For your scratched areas, you may have to use a body spot filler, wet sand and paint. Can't fix scratches without refinishing.

I only had to sand for my situation - the connector needed to plug in and it was crooked from when it broke.

Al

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
11 Posts
Depending on how much of the tab is left simply putting a metal washer around the screw that is big enough to catch the remaining part of the tab should be a sufficient fix. Plastic weld glues work well but are only effective on certain types of plastics so make sure you get the right one. As for fixing the scratches T6Rocket pretty much nailed it. If its a deep scratch youll need to prep the surface, apply some kind of filler, sand it smooth, throw on some primer, and paint to match. If the scratch is shallow enough you can get away fixing it without any filler.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on how much of the tab is left simply putting a metal washer around the screw that is big enough to catch the remaining part of the tab should be a sufficient fix. Plastic weld glues work well but are only effective on certain types of plastics so make sure you get the right one. As for fixing the scratches T6Rocket pretty much nailed it. If its a deep scratch youll need to prep the surface, apply some kind of filler, sand it smooth, throw on some primer, and paint to match. If the scratch is shallow enough you can get away fixing it without any filler.
Thanks. Ok, what specific type of plastic is the dashboard stuff? The gauge surround and the bezel around the radio/air-conditioning controls? Is there a recommended plastic weld glue or filler that beats all the other options or are most of them more or less equal?

Ya, the scratches seem very shallow, they almost look like it's old Scotch tape stuck on that got split and is now barely peeling up at the edges of the split. I suppose some fine sandpaper would be enough since this plastic is molded in color.

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
11 Posts
Idk what kind of plastic it is. It may specify on the back of the piece. Maybe ABS. If you sand it even with fine sandpaper youll have to paint it unless youre okay with the sandpaper scratches being there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks. Ok, what specific type of plastic is the dashboard stuff? The gauge surround and the bezel around the radio/air-conditioning controls? Is there a recommended plastic weld glue or filler that beats all the other options or are most of them more or less equal?
The part around the guages on my 97 is definitely ABS. Mine broke into 5 pieces and I put it all back together using black abs cement. You can also buy a sheet of ABS and cut out strips to add over cracks, add new mounting tabs or just layer it up thick to prevent further cracking.
The piece around the radio looks to be the same material, but I can't confirm.
I used Oatey. Check local hardware stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts