TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

One of the most unsightly things about my 'Bird is the fact that the very bottom edge of my passenger-side door is rusted, all the way from front to back. I did try grinding it and repainting it, but it rusted the paint off again in a matter of days. It doesn't go very far up the door however, maybe only 1/2 an inch at most. So I was wondering --

Do they sell any kind of strip, plastic or otherwise, that I could attach to run along the bottom edge of the doors? Yes it's just a way to cover it up, and that's the goal. :) I envision something like the rubber liner, where you push it up onto the door edge bit by bit. But nothing that will interfere with the door closing.

If not, know of any other good ways to cover the bottom edge (and the rust) that will last for awhile?

Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
use tape and newspaper to mask off the area you want covered. get some black rockerguard or rubberized undercoating, either or. aresols avaliable at the parts store. scuff the area with a kitchen scotchbrite and wipe clean. spray on and use light coats, letting each dry a bit or itll run. rust wont eat through for a while, and when it does, squirt, done.

this tip also works well to hide duct tape repairs. good for inspection around here.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
LMAO rusted through in days? My right side rocker had some bubbling and pits. I grinded that sucker down, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, painted and have had a prob.

I remember in the EASTWOOD catalog that they had paint that you could put OVER rust (not the loose parts) and it would actually stop the rust from being bigger. Then u just paint over that ur car color and not worry about it.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
i've heard good things about POR 15 (I think that's what it is). My uncle used it on his Vette when he restored it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I'll definately look into these things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts