TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 94 LX about three years, and its always been slightly difficult to turn the steering wheel (especially while sitting still) and the wheel does not readily return to center when driving after a corner, I have to help it back. It is driviable, but the problem becomes worse as the weather gets cold. It is still drivable but VERY annoying. So I had the rack replaced this spring, problem seems slightly better but is still there. Power steering fluid is full and good condition. If not the rack or fluid, any ideas what to do next? I've been living with this for three years and REALLY want it fixed so I will greatly appreciate any ideas!!

Also, when sitting still with car running, you can hear a whine (I think louder than normal) from under the hood as you turn the steering wheel, if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
316 Posts
well make sure you have enough

p/s fluid. maybe flush it and add some good p/s fluid.
if that doesnt work look into getting a new one.

but try the flush and adding of new fluid.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Remember the bird has variable assist steering so there is a valve on the pump and a controller in the trunk. I beleive if you unplug the electrical connector on the valve it defaults to full power assist.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All new fluid was put in when the rack was done....look into getting a new what??

What does the variable assist have to do with it? Are you saying it should be that difficult to turn and make that whining noise at slow speeds, in parking lot, etc...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
the variable assist certainly could make it more difficult to turn but I don't know if a malfunctioning valve could cause the whining or not

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any way to diagnose the pump other than replacing it and seeing if the problem goes away?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
That's about the only way. Unless you want to remove a line and see if anything comes out like it should. I think there is some kind of tool to check the pressure. I can't quite remember what it is though. Maybe someone here will know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts