TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 93 5.0 T Bird . Front end needed rebuild. I work at Ford dealership in sales. Asked good mechanic to do the work on the side, he did. Bought parts new from dealership at cost , good deal for me. Following is where things went wrong:
I asked the mechanic to install 1990 Super Coupe springs all around while he was doing the shocks , ball joints, tie rod ends , sway bar bushings etc. On my direction parts department ordered me 4 shocks for a 96 " Sport " T Bird which is supposed to have the same spring rate as the SC springs. Parts arrived and were installed. Car handles great , problem is it looks like I have 4 wheel drive , I bet it raised it at least 1.5 inches and needless to say does'nt look too cool. Only thing on my side is I installed a set of 16" tires earlier .
Does anyone here know of the EXACT reason it raised the car and if it is the springs , can I cut a coil ( or two ) if they are not progressive rate ? This thing has got to go down ! Please help.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've heard that they will settle after a few weeks. give them some time and see if they settle down some. After all they are brand new while your old ones were 14 years old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please not that the springs were used , from a 1990 Super Coupe with 119,000 miles on them . My stock strings had 120,000 miles on them when we replaced them with the Super Coupe springs. Also these used SC springs and new shocks have been in the car for at least 3 months and ain't dropped a damn centimeter ! I was warned on a prior post that installing SC springs could actually raise the height of a 5.0 Bird, sure wish there was someone out there that knows enough to say exactly what the problem is . Any one ?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the spring rate is different , and the fact that a s/c has the adjustable suspension where as the others dont, the lower control arms are different in the front and thats where i think your running into the issue . you should of seen about getting the sport springs instead of the s/c ones, and i beleive the s/c motor is heavier than the 5.0 as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My guess would be the suspension geometry on the S/C is different than an LX suspension. This could cause the problems you have. Try getting a hold of some used S/C lower control arms and see if they are different in any way. Look specifically at the possition of the ball joint and the mount for the strut.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
they are different , i just said that

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ya but how much different. The difference may not account for the whole problem, so the only way to find out would be to compare them and then actually put them on the car. Thats the only way your going to find out, unless someone out there has done this before.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
they are angled different to allow for the adjustabilty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bring it back up , does anyone know if SC springs are progressive rate ? can I cut a coil or two if they are not , I think I could adjust the ride height just by taking out a coil or two , then do an alignment. Please anyone ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Shorter = Stiffer

35thSC said:
I think I could adjust the ride height just by taking out a coil or two.......
You do know that cutting the springs will make them stiffer, Right?

68COUGAR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts