TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last year I put a 2 1/2 cowl hood scoop on my Mark VIII. I used the universal one from summit. When I put it on I cut out the top layer of the hood so I could make it functional later. I am trying to figure out the best places to cut it out.

Here is a pic of my current plan. Does this look good?

Here is a picture of the scoop

The small hole would be about over the alternator while the bigger hole would be at the back of the intack/rear of motor.

Thank you
Karl

·
Registered
362 Posts
Let us know how it turns out I am looking to get a Legendary hood if I can find these folks and an inexpensive hood. I could also mould ina scoop but I am afraid abotu ruining my straight stock hood and having it fall apart you ideas? palsn? thanks
Regg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted my idea here because I am affraid of the same thing. After all the bodywork on that scoop I dont want to ruin my hood.

Karl

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Reckmann,

Legendary is in PA, so figure Eastern time when you call.

1 (800)346-2426 or 1 (215) 491-1717

For my 97 they wanted $500 for Cowl and $550 for Ram Air, $65 for supports, $29 for crating, and shipping about $100.

I checked the other company making Cowl hoods for T-birds. They are out of stock for at least a month.

I hit a deer, but STUPID State Farm wouldn't go for a fiberglass hood because a new OEM hood wasn't on the estimate (Supposedly not available) and a recycled hood was $300 (that I didn't have) cheaper.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've seen Legendary hoods and they suck! They don't line up right and you have modify the hood around the wipers. I've talked to people who had them and they weren't too happy. I've been looking into getting a new hood too. I think I'm just going to modify my stock hood when I have my car painted.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
indiana,

I've only seen one. The Ram Air on Dale Puumala's SC. He hasn't had any problem with his baby, and it looks good, too. Dale's posted picures of it if you care to search for them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Kolenich said:
When I put it on I cut out the top layer of the hood so I could make it functional later. I am trying to figure out the best places to cut it out.
The small hole would be about over the alternator while the bigger hole would be at the back of the intack/rear of motor.
What are you going to make functional? all the hood scoop would do this way is let water in when it rains and possably let air out of engine bay? dont understand what you want to do here with the air from the scoop?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
5.0 Chero said:

What are you going to make functional? all the hood scoop would do this way is let water in when it rains and possably let air out of engine bay? dont understand what you want to do here with the air from the scoop?
The purpose of a cowl hood such as that is to create a vacuum inside the cowl which will draw air out of the engine bay. Since MN12s and FN10s are bottom breathers and don't exactly have great airflow out of the engine bay, this is a good thing. It will allow more air to flow out of the engine bay which will promote better flow through the bay creating better cooling (the hot air has somewhere to go now) and also toss more cold air past the air intake.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As AverageJoe stated, the theory is to promote airflow through the engine bay and expel hot air. This is a seasonal vehicle and doesn't see much harsh weather but rain should still not be a problem. This is mainly because the seal at the rear of the hood will still be intact to stop runoff from the windshield. Also the scoop extends past the back of the hood to provide a cover for the holes.

I am hoping I am not overlooking something large before going at it.

Karl

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually it wont create a vacuum. But it may let out some air from the engine bay Chevy introduced the cowl induction hood on the 69 Camaro and it was sealed to the air cleaner to get cold outside air into it. their will not be enough air flow by the opening to create a vacuum.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, theoretically speaking, with air flowing past the outlet of the cowl when the vehicle is travelling at speed, this will create a low pressure zone between the windshield and the hood outlet, this low pressure zone will then try to equalize with the higher pressure zone beneath the hood in the engine compartment, thus causing a flow of air from the engine bay, into the hood, and out of the hood.

But this is all theoretical of course. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Actually do some research and you guys will find that it is quite the opposite. Now matter whats in the engine bay the reverse hood scoop will draw air into the engine bay. My father and I race late model cars and this has been proven over and over with windtunnel tests. Now unless there is some big peice of info about the this setup that I don't know about I believe that I am correct. As you said earlier they actually would seal off the air box to the scoop because (tested by myself with an ATM tester) at speed it will create a drop in pressure at the cowl edge, thus forcing air into the hood scoop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I did was epoxied it to the hood using rivits to hold it down till it dried then ground the rivits out and smoothed everying with bondo. I didn't like the enormous double hump scoops that come right to the end of the hood. I wanted something more subtle.

Karl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts