TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's a deal in that they're cheap, but you get what you pay for, especially off of eBay. Keeping your car on it's wheels is something that's worth investing more money in.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
It's a deal in that they're cheap, but you get what you pay for, especially off of eBay. Keeping your car on it's wheels is something that's worth investing more money in.
+1

You can pay extra to get the good stuff and not have to worry about those parts for another 100,000 miles, or you can go with eBay's Taiwanese special and never really know when things might fail. Check in with Jon here at the Ford Parts Counter, he can strike you an amazing deal for OE parts. I paid under $45 a piece for my UCAs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed! Advanced sells them, there's a few in the area.

Joe
Thanks everyone,

Joe, I went with moog upper and lower ball joints... the lowers cost me $36 ea and the uppers cost me $73 ea. havnt't installed them yet.. using my spare vehicle till this weekend...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday, I finished installing my upper and lower ball joints and what a b*tch the uppers were..... geez :zbash:

HEY JOE.... guess what my steering wheel doesn't shake anymore... hmmmm can you say a little dangerous driving with b/joints that were that shot :saeek:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yesterday, I finished installing my upper and lower ball joints and what a b*tch the uppers were..... geez :zbash:

HEY JOE.... guess what my steering wheel doesn't shake anymore... hmmmm can you say a little dangerous driving with b/joints that were that shot :saeek:
Hmmm, what did you find so difficult about replacing the uppers? You did replace the whole control arm and not just the ball joint, right? I replaced mine last month and found them incredibly easy to replace! Took me, maybe, 2 hours tops to do by myself.

Dennis

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, what did you find so difficult about replacing the uppers? You did replace the whole control arm and not just the ball joint, right? I replaced mine last month and found them incredibly easy to replace! Took me, maybe, 2 hours tops to do by myself.

Dennis
well.. it was mostly dealing with the springs and making sure they didnt bounce out at me... :boom:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
well.. it was mostly dealing with the springs and making sure they didnt bounce out at me... :boom:
Hmmm, not sure what you're talking about - it isn't neccessary to touch the shock or spring at all (well, other than your hand hitting the spring when trying to work around it!) when replacing the upper control arms.

Dennis

·
Banned
754 Posts
you know those UCAs are a pain because of that rounded nut they use which requires a 6 point socket of the correct metric size.......which no one seems to have had when I did mine.

ALSO the friggin tabs they say to break off are made of such a solid steel that you can't simply bend and break them.

but yeah, I see those ebay parts are made by Omega..... Omega means "end" which is probably what will happen to you using some knockoff brand parts :)

Omega, the last parts you will ever use...... lol

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
you know those UCAs are a pain because of that rounded nut they use which requires a 6 point socket of the correct metric size.......which no one seems to have had when I did mine.

ALSO the friggin tabs they say to break off are made of such a solid steel that you can't simply bend and break them.

but yeah, I see those ebay parts are made by Omega..... Omega means "end" which is probably what will happen to you using some knockoff brand parts :)

Omega, the last parts you will ever use...... lol
There's no reason to break the tabs/flags off the bolts when replacing the UCA's; in fact, the tabs/flags make the job MUCH easier - just use an 18mm ratcheting wrench on the nuts in the engine compartment and the tabs keep the bolts from turning so you don't have to get a wrench or socket on them, too! I re-used the nuts and bolts and put Lok-Tite on them.

I wouldn't buy anything other than TRW or Moog for suspension components!

Dennis

·
Administrator
8,219 Posts
I knew you had low mileage, I guess you never know when ball joints will go bad! :rant:

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts