TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i dumped about 1500 into my v6 87 bird in the last 2 months i put a used tranny in it got the car back ran fine for about a month then one day going to work out of no where the car just lost power. (electric issue) well needless to say after 2 weeks in the shop it turns out to be the ignition module. so i get the car back and it felt kind of funny driving it then i get home and its leaking tranny fluid so i go the autozone in a different car get some tranny fluid just to top it off no biggie.... I go to get on Sunrise highway and the car wont go over 63 mph and its stuggling to get there. just as i notice that the temperture guage shot all the way up to its peak so i put the heat on full blast opened the hood while still moving to get air into it and pulled off the road... i dunno what the hell is wrong with it im hoping not the tranny again is there anything else it could be.... my friend thinks it might have something to do with the timing... please help and if anyone in the New york long island area is looking to sell a bird for cheap let me know!

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If the inside of that car is as nice as the outside, don't you dare take it to the junkyard.

I've got a 3.8 with 120k miles and fresh headgaskets that you could have if you were a little (3000 miles or so) closer.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Im way too far away to help, but that really is a good looking bird. I wouldnt trash it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think its the head gasket.... No smoke no anti in the oil nothing like that just leaks a lil bit of oil and now tranny fluid.... :( and Yes the interior is as nice as the exterior it has brand new Grey dark grey leather seats that i yanked out of a wrecked cougar elete that was at my uncles shop i would hate to have to get rid of this car!

·
Registered
484 Posts
you wouldnt happen to have a hole in yor radiator would ya, your tranny cooler is built into the radiator so if it were rotted out or had a hole it would cause you to lose tranny fluid and possibly overheat, its really the only thing i can think of that would connect the two problems together

·
Registered
115 Posts
i dont think its the head gasket.... No smoke no anti in the oil nothing like that just leaks a lil bit of oil and now tranny fluid.... :( and Yes the interior is as nice as the exterior it has brand new Grey dark grey leather seats that i yanked out of a wrecked cougar elete that was at my uncles shop i would hate to have to get rid of this car!
just because you dont have oil/anti mix or smoke does not mean you dont have a blown head gasket or cracked head. but like lowbird96 said the only thing that could connect those problems together would be your radiator. give it a good look over, but in anycase do not destroy that car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would have to agree with everyone else and say Head gasket, and also when u get the head gasket relplaced get the trans filter and trans gasket replaced to. If u can afford it and do it yourself put a trans cooler on it to you will notice a great deal of improvement in the trans. Ford trans love trans coolers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts