TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all laugh at "those people" you know the ones that do something stupid...well....i was one of those people yesterday......it rained 4 inches in one hour yesterday and i had to take daughter to dentist.....well i went through one of those small rivers...i saw a bug,a s10 do it so i figured why not? well halfway through the water got deep...then my car coughed and died.....it wouldnt start for a minute then when it did it ran TERRIBLY ...then i heard a clack.....went to auto zone,they said take out the air filter...it was sopping wet....he said i might have bent valves or rods...whats the verdict? it IS making a clacking sound it sounds ugly!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sadly.....dont want to be the one to say it but you might be looking at a new motor. I did this with my first motor and the same thing happened. Air filter was soaked took out my plugs and blew i ton of water out of the cylinders when i cranked it over. The verdict on mine, when i tore down the motor, was 2 bent rods and a piston skirt that was in pieces. I wasnt able to run it for very long after i got it started because it was making so much noise.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
D0000D all I have 2 say is... That sucks!!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
The last thing you should have done in that situation is tried to restart the engine without first pulling the plugs. As said above, we won't know the extent of the damage until you tear the engine down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hmmm ..... water don't burn my freind and it's real unfreindly to internal parts and does not like to be compressed in an engine . it does strange things as you have found out .......................... i watched a fool get washed into a corn field last week in a c88y 4x4 as he seen me in an 9 ton ih go SLOWLY through a road wiith just a couple of inches over it , into one of the towns off the county roads , that i deliver mail too . why oh why do folks assume they can even make it in any washed out condition in a smaller vehicle . in my case i havent got much of a choice . i'm not backing 8 miles down the road , no room to turn around , and i have enough weight to get through it , and have been driving in conditions that would scare some for year { 25 years over the road , and local in just about every type of truck imagineable } . we had a young lady and 2 of her children drown and get washed away on a bridge south of here in the county , over a creek that had no gaurd rails . it only had a couple of inches of water over the road way and she thought she could make it . ...... last year i had too back up as the creek i cross every day , which is normally about 15 feet below me , was over the road , and geuss what there was a car floating in it bouncing off the gaurd rails . somehow the rescue squad got them out before they suffered a bad fate ..................

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
found an answer for you

"Water lock" is the familiar term for the condition known as hydrostatic lock. As referenced in your question, it occurs when water is ingested by the engine in a certain quantity. The specific quantity necessary varies by engine. The problem is one of basic physics -- liquids are non-compressible. Water, of course, is a liquid.

Your engine is a four-stroke-cycle engine. The four "strokes" are intake, compression, power, and exhaust. Note that compression directly follows intake. The intake stroke occurs during (generally) downward movement with the intake valve open. This causes an air-gas mixture to be drawn into the cylinder. At the bottom of the intake stroke, the cylinder volume above the piston is at its greatest. During the compression stroke, the piston moves upward, reducing the cylinder volume above the piston until the piston reaches its upper travel limit. At this point, the cylinder volume is at its smallest. Under normal conditions, the air-fuel mixture is basically gaseous in nature and is therefore compressible. But... what happens if the cylinder is contains liquid instead of vapor? In this case, at the point when the cylinder volume is reduced to where it is approximately the same as the volume of liquid in the cylinder, the piston will no longer be able to move upward. This is the "lock" point.

Depending upon specifics of operating conditions, engine design, and general engine health, this sudden stopping of the piston by a non-compressible mass can cause damage such as a broken piston, bent or broken connrod, shattering of engine castings, or even breakage of the crankshaft.

As to the question of how much water is needed? Not much -- when the engine ingests into any single cylinder a volume of water greater than the cylinder volume above the piston at TDC, the piston in that cylinder will be stopped on its compression stroke when the cylinder volume above the piston matches the volume of ingested liquid. The smaller the engine (displacement), the less liquid is needed to get to this point. That amount can be roughly calculated for any given engine, so long as the bore, stroke, and compression ratio are known.
###########################################

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Well, we all make mistakes, but this one will be a lifelong lesson.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You Are Right All

i was one of those dumb people...the water level didnt look high....after all a volkswagon bug went through so i did too...slowly.....but i have forgotten about my intake down on the drivers side being so low...you are right its a mistake ill never do again!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
.but i have forgotten about my intake down on the passenger's side being so low
FIXED! Also thought I would suggest a snorkel setup before more underwater adventures. Sorry I could not resist :D, but they do use these things on 4x4s and such.
-Rob

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol!

thats funny rob! btw,a mechanic told me today iot sounds like the valves...bent maybe?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Yep .. bent yer valves .. clattering sounds like a couple thousand bucks to us mechanics. Sounds like you need a new engine. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
it's also referredto as hydro lock . ya know whats funny i replied to this and that day we got 5 1/2 inches of rain in two hours and got too watch the stupid peeps all over again .................................

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Time to upgrade to a PI engine that you can get at the junkyard maybe? I would!

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
Dont even bother taking it apart. just pull and replace it.
I found an 03 Gran Marquis engine with ~800 miles on it for $725. :)

It's not even broken in; you can still see the factory surface on the cam lobes, lol.

Everything off your original engine will bolt up to the new one; you need gaskets and to add the extra coolant sensor.

Someone good could do this in a couple of days.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
<< 03 Gran Marquis engine with ~800 miles on it for $725. >>

That's a gift right there, perfect timing even! If TN were closer to Michigan I'd jump on it! I think you just found your replacement engine!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts