TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i had a post about my car shaking in idle, and it feel like its "missing"... I went out today and started up my car. The low coolant light is on. look under the hood and the resevior is very low. filled it up. i just went outside and checked the level.. its pretty full. Now the car makes a hissing noise. I Also checked the intake... theres a hose going to the intake on the back left side of the intake... heater hose? I was looking at LX-Tasy's post and I went to look at my car.. i dont see a crack but around the top part there is traces of green fluid (Coolant)... My car was made in March of 97... could I take it to ford, and if it IS cracked.. would they still replace it for free? Also whats the Number for the recall (?) And if I take it in to be looked at, will they charge me any money? Thanks guys... (also the car shakes in idle, and every other second it "bumps".. you can feel it in your seat... and there's a "hissing" noise coming from back there.... and there is no CE light) Please help me out guys.. I don't want to buy a new intake.. I would rather have Ford pay for their mistake.... Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Post me your vin # ... the warranty is good for 7yrs from your warranty start date. Which is is the oasis report but i need your vin.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1FALP62W5VH138838

ALSO: The car has an Aluminum crossover... behind the alt. It's leaking around that pillar and has residual white stuff, like a water mark.. like that white stuff (dry coolant) was dripping down it. Thanks for this bro!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Also ran cooling system concerns... gives probables...

OASIS RESULT:
1FALP62W5VH138838
.*602 071 034* TECH HOTLINE CONTACT ID EXPIRES IN 5 DAYS FOR 1FALP62W5VH138838
05/03/2003
02:07:09
© Copyright 2002-3 Ford Motor Company. All rights reserved.

VEHICLE INFORMATION
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
1997 THUNDERBIRD BODY STYLE
2 DR SEDAN LX ENGINE
4.6L SOHC (ROMEO) ENGINE CALIBRATION
718BR11A
TRANSMISSION
AX4S 4 SPD TRANSAXLE AXLE CODE
XE
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START DATE
05/16/1997 BUILD DATE
03/19/1997 SALE MILEAGE
WARNING MESSAGES
LESS THAN TWO DEALER APPROVED AWA REPAIR VISITS PAID TO DATE
FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
97M91 CAUTION: MAY NOT NEED REPAIR; SERVICE ONLY IF CONCERN IS PRESENT.
PLEASE REFER TO DEALER LETTER FOR PROGRAM COVERAGE
INTAKE MANIFOLD ADDITIONAL COVERAGE
EXTENDED COVERAGES
NO ESP INFORMATION AVAILABLE
REPAIR HISTORY
NO REPAIR HISTORY ON VEHICLE
SYMPTOM CODE INFORMATION
402000 - ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM CONCERNS

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
11970 1995-1997 THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR
SOME 1995-1997 THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR TEMPERATURE GAUGE MAY DISPLAY A HIGH READING WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING NORMALLY. THIS MAY BE NORMAL GAUGE FUNCTION. REGARDING DIAGNOSIS, DETERMINE IF THE SYSTEM IS OPERATING WITHIN NORMAL PARAMETERS UTILIZING AN NGS TO MEASURE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURE. MID-RANGE ON THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE SHOULD CORRESPOND TO 205 DEGREES F AND THE MAXIMUM LIMIT OF THE NORMAL RANGE IS 250 DEGREES F.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10964 *
1986 THROUGH 1998 FORD & LINCOLN MERCURY VEHICLES THAT USE AN IRCM (ALSO KNOWN AS A CCRM) THE INTEGRATED RELAY CONTROL MODULE TESTER (IRCM ROTUNDA PART # 007- 005A) IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ALL FORD & LINCOLN MERCURY VEHICLES BUILT AFTER THE 1995 MODEL YEAR. USE OF THE TESTER OUTSIDE OF THE MODEL YEARS LISTED BELOW ON OTHER VEHICLES MAY CAUSE THE IRCM TO FAIL THE TESTS AND LEAD TO THE INCORRECT REPLACEMENT OF THE IRCM. USE THIS TESTER TO DIAGNOSE CUSTOMER CONCERNS ONLY FOR THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES: ALL FORD & LINCOLN MERCURY VEHICLES BUILT IN MODEL YEARS 1986 THROUGH 1993. 1994 MODEL YEAR & BEYOND VEHICLES WITH IRCM PART # OF; F1DF-12B577-AA F23F-12B577-AB F48F-12B577-AA F1DF-12B577-BA F23F-12B577-BB F48F-12B577-BA F1SF-12B577-AA F3DF-12B577-AA F4ZF-12B577-AA F1ZF-12B577-AA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10617 *
SOME 1996 TO 1997 THUNDERBIRD/COUGARS MAY EXPERIENCE ILLUMINATION OF THE ENGINE COOLING INDICATOR LIGHT. CHECK ALL RADIATOR/HEATER HOSES FOR LEAKS, SEEPAGE, WATER MARKS AND POSITIONING: IF LEAK IS PRESENT, REPLACE CURRENT CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMPS (CTC) # 24, #27, #47 AND #55 WITH NEW (CTC) # 24 (F8SZ-15161-CA), #27 (F8SZ-15161-DA), #47 (F7LZ-15161-AA) & #55 (F8SZ-15161-AA). IF CURRENT (CTC) CLAMP IS POSITIONED INCORRECTLY, REMOVE AND REPLACE OLD (CTC) CLAMP WITH NEW (CTC) CLAMPS. CAUTION - DO NOT ATTEMPTS TO REPOSITION AND REUSE OLD CLAMPS.

10586 *
A 1997 THUNDERBIRD AND COUGAR IN COLD WEATHER ONLY. IF CUSTOMER COMPLAINS OF OCCASIONAL FLASHING OF THE LOW COOLANT AND LOW WASHER FLUID WARNING LAMPS SIMULTANEOUSLY DURING LOW TEMPERATURES (BELOW 15 DEG F.), THE PROBLEM IS THE RESULT OF NETWORK RESISTANCE VALUES IN THE LAMP'S PROVEOUT CIRCUIT OF THE LOW FLUIDS WARNING MODULE. DEALERS ARE ADVISED TO NOTIFY CUSTOMERS THAT THIS IS NOT DETRIMENTAL AND THE CONDITION WILL DISAPPEAR AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES OF WARM UP. HOWEVER IF CUSTOMER INSISTS ON SERVICE ACTION, A REPLACEMENT LOW FLUIDS MODULE IS AVAILABLE. REMOVE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 10884 FROM INSTRUMENT PANEL. UNPLUG C250 & C251 CONNECTORS FROM THE BACK OF CLUSTER. ACCESS LOW FLUIDS MODULE, THE LOW FLUIDS MODULE IS LOCATED BEHIND THE RPM GAUGE IN THE LOWER RIGHT OF THE BACK OF THE CLUSTER. REPLACE MODULE PN# F7SZ-14B115-AA WITH F7SZ-14B115-AC.

10293 *
IF VEHICLE HAS THE ENGINE COOLING INDICATOR LIGHT ON: CHECK UPPER RADIATOR, DRIVER SIDE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER (TOC) JAM NUT AREA FOR LEAK. IF LEAK IS PRESENT, REPLACE RADIATOR; IF NO LEAK IS FOUND RUN DIAGNOSTIC TEST ON THE COOLING SYSTEM TO DETERMINE SOURCE OF LEAK/COOLANT WARNING LIGHT. DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY REPLACE THE RADIATOR.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS
02-21-13 1992-2003 VARIOUS VEHICLES - ENGINE - STRAIGHTEDGE PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK FLATNESS

02-11-04 ENGINE - NEW GASKET REMOVER/CLEANER AND SERVICE TIPS FOR ALUMINUM HEADS AND BLOCKS: IF PETROLEUM RESIDUES ARE LEFT BEHIND NEITHER THE MLS GASKET NOR RTV WILL ADHERE TO METAL AND BOND PROPERLY AS DESIGNED. REFER TO THE TSB FOR DETAILS.

02-02-03 ENGINE - MACHINING OF ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEADS OR BLOCKS - WARRANTY INFORMATION: ENGINEERING HAS DETERMINED THAT THE SURFACE FINISH QUALITY STANDARD CANNOT BE MET TO SPECIFICATION BY FIELD-SOURCED MACHINE SHOP FACILITIES. CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLIES/SHORT AND LONGBLOCK ASSEMBLIES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH YOUR FAD.

02-02-02 COOLANT - ENGINE - COOLANT SEEPAGE AT INTAKE MANIFOLD CROSS-OVER - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L 2V ENGINE ONLY: INSPECT THE SUSPECT INTAKE MANIFOLD FOR A COOLANT LEAK AT THE FIRST RUNNER CROSS-OVER AREA. IF COOLANT SEEPAGE IS FOUND IN THIS AREA, ORDER THE APPROPRIATE SERVICE KIT AND INSTALL PARTS. SEE TSB.

02-01-04 ENGINE - APPROVED HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT SERVICE PROCEDURES: REFER TO THE TSB FOR RECOMMENDED GASKET SEALING SURFACE PREPARATION PROCEDURES.

01-23-06 ENGINE COOLANT - PROPYLENE GLYCOL - FORD MOTOR COMPANY POSITION ON ENGINE COOLANTS MADE FROM PROPYLENE GLYCOL: FORD MOTOR COMPANY DOES NOT RECOMMEND NOR ENDORSE THE USE OF ENGINE COOLANTS MADE WITH PROPYLENE GLYCOL IN FORD VEHICLES REFER TO THE TSB.

01-15-06 CLIMATE CONTROL - COOLING SYSTEM - REPEAT HEATER CORE FAILURE: CHECK FOR ELECTROLYSIS ON ANY VEHICLE WITH A HEATER CORE FAILURE. IF ELECTROLYSIS IS VERIFIED, FLUSH THE COOLANT AND FOLLOW ADDITIONAL STEPS AS REQUIRED. REFER TO THE TSB FOR DETAILS.

98-26-02 FUEL - INFORMATION ON GASOLINE - TIPS TO RESOLVE VOLATILITY RELATED DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS

97-19-11 COOLING SYSTEM-"ON VEHICLE" HEATER CORE PRESSURE TEST REQUIRED FOR WARRANTY CLAIM

97-17-16 FLUID - AODE/4R70W FLUID LEAK AT TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER AT RADIATOR SERVICE TIP

END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 1FALP62W5VH138838

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Took my car to the lincoln mercury dealer and they said they would have a look at it. If it isn't the intake, they will charge me 75 dollars to diagnose the problem. (the rough idle, shaking.. etc) Does this sound right? Also there is a hissing noise coming from back there also.... (its not cracked by the alt, there is an aluminum passage there already... it looks like its leaking from the heater hose... the braided wrapped hose that goes into the intake and there is white residue water mark things dripping down and green coolant on the top of it.) Opinions on what I should do? They want me to drop my car off Friday morning and I can go pick it up Friday evening.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
Update: Took my car to the lincoln mercury dealer and they said they would have a look at it. If it isn't the intake, they will charge me 75 dollars to diagnose the problem. (the rough idle, shaking.. etc) Does this sound right? Also there is a hissing noise coming from back there also.... (its not cracked by the alt, there is an aluminum passage there already... it looks like its leaking from the heater hose... the braided wrapped hose that goes into the intake and there is white residue water mark things dripping down and green coolant on the top of it.) Opinions on what I should do? They want me to drop my car off Friday morning and I can go pick it up Friday evening.
For the charge to diagnose... most if not all charge a minimum of 1 hr diagnostic time (even if it takes 10 mins to run power balance and see a misfire) and 1 hr labor is worth 75$. If you have a leak back there like you say, your rough idle is most probably misfire on #4 or P0304. Depending on how long it has been since they put the new intake on ( i think 3 months or 10,000 miles, but not sure)... you can tell them its a "comeback" and the problem you are having now stems from the previous repair that was not done correctly. If they are a reputable dealership they will not give you much hassle. Look closely at the hoses in that area even going to the heater core ... if you have a pin hole it may cause a slight hissing as its coming through the whole ... but you should see spray and smell it.

Thats all i can think of right now.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I think that you might have had some coolant leak down into the sparkplug hole causing a misfire. It might be a possiability that you car has a bad heater hose. If it is a 97 I would replace it. It is now 6 years old. I replaced mine on my car this year because I did not want to get out in the midle of nowhere and blow a hose and disable the vehicle. If you have a air compressor I would warm the car up fully shut it off and pull the wires from the holes and blow them out and wait over night before installing the wires. I would also blow the end of the plug wires out.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i never had the manifold replaced.. m going to take it in to be looked at. I'll check the plugs for fouling, etc.. and also check the oil for stuff thats not supposed to be there! anything else??

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
1FALP62W5VH138838

ALSO: The car has an Aluminum crossover... behind the alt.

AnthraxBird said:
I never had the manifold replaced..

if you have an aluminum water crossover, you have an updated manifold, at one point or another it was replaced, and replaced within the last 2 years, they started the alumn xover about 2 years ago.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah thats what i figured... I'm going to take it in to have th eintake checked, if its not they will charge me 75 bucks to diagnose the engine problems. First im going to check the spark plugs and stuff... maybe i have a bad hose... and the coolant got into the cylinder head and into the spark plugs.. after all i did change the spark plugs and wires about 2k ago... maybe.. its worth a shot right? While im in there im gonna just get new autolite coppers... Anyone have any part numbers that are required for my car?

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Just scroll down on this thread and you will see a post that I posted about the intake cracking at another spot.That is your problem.
Thanks,
Chris

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, another wierd thing happened to me when I went to start my car: It was running rough as soon as I started it. It didn't get any better if I gave it gas or anything... no warning lights, guages we're normal... Idle was consistant 850rpm... I started it up and it was shaking badly... but it wasnt going to stall. I haven't drove the car in about a day. I drove it around the block and stopped, it was better.. it was just the normal shaking and wierd miss that I had.. (see first post) Can anyone give me some info? This is terribly wierd. (NO engine codes.) :mad: :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
aright im tired of reading this every day

1st in the past 8 months, what specifically have you done to the car, im talking oil change, fluid change, plug changes, gas fillups. anything.

2nd pull each sparkplug for any bad spots, cracks or whatnot

3rd make sure each plug wire is attached on both ends.

me thinks that #4 or #5 is fouled

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if u dont want to read it, dont look at it =P

anyways... oil changes every 3k... gas fillups with 87 octane when i need it.. chanegd fuel filter, (just checked the plugs today, regapped them, they looked fine... ALTHOUGH there was coolant on the boot, inside the sparkplug hole (hose is leaking going to the intake..) but no coolant inside the cylinder or on the spark plug. Changed motor mounts, new wires, etc. I'm thinking I need a new IAC, because its only rought at Idle, and theres a whistling ONLY at idle... doesnt the IAC only work at Idle and close up when you give it gas? Keith?

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It didnt get on the inside of the cylinder though... I took it out and it looked normal... no wear, not fouled.. etc. I cleaned it off and let them (the spark plugs and the boots) dry and also cleaned them off with compressed air. I guess I will get coppers this weekend along with my tranny mod stuff and try it out....

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
i had a bad miss with mine last spring, the day after i cracked the intake, number 3 plug had a hairline crack in the porcelain, replaced the plug and it was good to go. the crack was really really hard to see

1 - 20 of 22 Posts