TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started to get a shake it my front end and this bottom bar is really loose what is this part called so i can order 2 new ones.

its the bottom bar that curves and you can see the bushing pop out.

thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
The strut rod doesn't need to be replaced - it's the strut rod bushings. There are four total per side; two at the control arm (seen in this pic) and two at the K-member/frame. In my experiences the control arm side bushings go bad much quicker than the frame side bushings (all four cars of this chassis type I've done front end service on had shot control arm side bushings, but the frame side were okay); new bushings from Ford will be about $40 for all four (front and rear for both sides).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Check that lower control arm bushing too.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ditto... the bar is fine, it's the bushings that are bad. This is a good time to have a mechanic check your ball joints and tie-rod ends also, it's not uncommon for them to need replacement at the same time. Good luck, lots of us on the forum have done this job...

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
I'll toss my $1.98 (was 2 cents, but inflation ...) on it ... Buy new Ford frame bushings, and if possible the Ford control arm bushings, for that (there's a full list of the part numbers on the forum in the suspension area.)

Replace ALL the bushings at once.

If you can afford it, take a good hard look at the lower control arm and the shocks also - for a LX, you can use the Monroe or Raybestos (or if you can find the, the SACHS) "quick strut" assemblies (I quote the "quick struts" because these aren't MacPherson struts, but eh. Black is white, good is bad, preaching love is spewing hate, etc. etc. in today's wonderful world.)

Also as 96PRLBRD says, the tie rod ends and possibly the upper control arms with the bushings and ball joints. Use the good stuff - if you go with the quick struts, it's a bit of a pain to get to two of the UCA nuts, but overall it's not that difficult to do in the driveway or the garage yourself.

RwP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts