TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car has been stumbling whenever i take off or if im going at a steady pace and try to go a little faster. i searched the forums but the thing that is different is that if its in parking i can rev it and it revs perfect, but once i put it into drive it starts doing that. I got a engine put in like a month ago with 70K miles. i changed the oil and oil filter a week ago, and the air filter today. I think it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter because it all started when i put gasoline from shell twice, i had always put chevron and it worked fine. the transmission oil is clean and it is full. can someone help me. if its the fuel filter about how long does it take to change it.

thanks for your help

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ok.. i know shell had a sulfur problem a little while back

however.. if you can put it in park and rev her fine.. then i don't think it is a fuel issue. as fuel pump supplies fuel while in park too

can you hold it steady at 2500rpms in park? have you tried neutral?

if it is the fuel filter, it is under a little heatshield on the passenger side undercarriage and takes maybe 15-20min depending on a lift or jack, etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i just let it idle the rpm doesnt stay the same, sometimes it feels like its gonna turn off, in parking and in neutral, but if i rev it doesnt stumble

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, for the unsteady idle you could try cleaning the IAC valve, and maybe making sure that your EGR valve isn't hanging partly open. Stumbling when you take off is probably an ignition problem, have you changed your plugs and wires lately? Also, once the torque converter clutch applies (which it does once you hit 3rd gear under light to mild throttle) it may cause a misfire-like condition to be felt/heard, however this is not the case, if this is hapening when the clutch applies, you are experiencing torque converter clutch shudder.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The first thing I would do is a good old fashioned tuneup. :D

Plugs, wires, and all filters that you haven't already changed.

Then I would do a very very close inspection of the rubber connections on all the vacuum lines (especially the one behind the intake that is notorious for going bad on the 94's and 95's).

Then I would take a close look at the MAF and give it a good cleaning if it needs it.

These are just basic things that should be done on a regular basis anyway (IMHO).

I would almost bet that after you do those things, you'll have a car that runs like a champ. :D

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
today the check engine light went on, so i took it to autozone. they told me that i needed a tune up because a cylinder was misfiring. i had got the check engine light these past few days but i kept resetting the computer. i hope a tune up will fix this.

thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yesterday i changed the spark plugs and it worked perfectly, but today it started doing the same things all over. does anyone think its the spark plug wires. i want to be almost sure because i dont have enough money for a tune up and spark plug wires. thanks for your help

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Could be one or more of your injectors are clogged.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
probably the wires. Put a nice dark place, pop the hood, start the car, and watch the wires when you rev it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
:zwthstpd: This makes it a ton easier.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i fixed it. yesterday i changed the wires and it has been running perfectly.

thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts