TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Tbird with 4.6L. Last week CEL came on, scanned and found 2 hard errors, MAF/VAF CKT LOW INPUT & MAF INTERMITTENT. Same time CEL came on car started "stalling" when taking off from a dead stop. If I don't let off the gas, it dies, but I can sort of feather the accelerator and it will take off fine after it gets past about 10MPH. I cleaned the MAF with windex and cleared the errors (fuse15) and for @ 10 miles the lite stayed off, but I still had the stall problem. The next trip, the lite was on, but the problem was gone. Now it is intermittent and I can't seem to find any common denominator as to when it happens and when it doesn't. Any ideas?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Right off the top of my head I would think that the MAF has gone bad. Do you have a junkyard around where you could get another one?

If it were me, I would check the local auto parts place to see if they have a MAF, then try it. If the problem goes away then good, if not you can return it and post here for more tips.

Also, check the connecttions and make sure there is no corrosion.

-Andrey

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I would also agree that the MAF has probably gone bad.

You can also unplug the MAF, and give it a quick test drive.
It should accelerate much better with it unplugged, if it is bad.
It also may throw the CEL back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My local parts store (O'Reilly's) told me Sunday that if I installed the sensor I couldn't return it. Seems impossible to tell if it was installed to me. Is $100 reasonable for the MAF sensor?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Did you try unplugging the MAF and test driving it?

Also, you are better off with a Motorcraft MAF sensor. The rebuilt units from local parts stores aren't as good. This is one item not to skimp on.

Best price would be from Dan Newman.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have the sensor and housing off of my 94 that you can have for $20+ship. It was actually new in 99. Used, but it was working when I took it off. It would at least tell you if that's the problem. Let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disconnected MAF, still had hesitation from dead stop, but didn't have to let up on accelerator to keep from dying. Reconnected sensor and behaves the same way as it did disconnected...ie didn't have to let up to keep from dying. Weather is warmer today, don't know if that has any effect. Noticed something else. Before today, when I killed the car and got out I would get "shocked" by the door. Today I haven't gotten shocked. Could this problem be related to a loose ground somewhere. The previous owner bypassed the heater core. The heater control panel doesn't operate, but the led temp readout comes on when I turn the selector. Guy at parts store told me the heater control is the "center" of the electrical system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts