TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was driving around and my oil pressure was very low, even on my mechanical gauge. like 5 psi low. i felt a loss in power, and i could hear a faint rattling under the hood as i accelerated. the rattling slowed and died down when i let off the gas, sped back up and got louder with acceleration. oil pressure still very low. i get home, pop the hood with engine running, operate the throttle by hand, and the rattling (now sounds like knocking) is coming from the middle of the engine. the dipstick has very little oil on it. not even enough oil to drip off. please tell me its not a rod knock :(

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
So you didnt have any oil in the engine?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, its either rod knock or piston slap.

Sounds like rod knock.

Get some more oil in there and one of them snake oils... see if it makes any difference... if that does, it might buy you some time to get a rental, beater, or whatever so you can pull the motor.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AEDM8 said:
So you didnt have any oil in the engine?
from the looks of it, there was very little oil on the dipstick. this was with a hot engine. ill look at it tomorrow after it sits overnight.

anybody have any tissue? :bawling:

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
big mike said:

anybody have any tissue? :bawling:
sorry to hear it man... get some oil in there though before it grenades...

and as for the tissue.. if you give me a few minutes, i will have some used TP :)

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
at least my car runs kodiak

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I can put together a thermostat together with no problem... and no help...

Can you?

Enough.... this isnt our thread

Mike, get some oil in there man... you don't want to let it go

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It might not be shot.

You might want to do an early oil change and look for metal fragments in what little oil you have left. What weight oil are you running? If you dont have anything scary come out fill her back up with a thicker oil if possible. Its far from a cure all but could help. If this takes care of it your going to need to watch closely for oil consumption. Figure out how fast you are losing it and where.

Might want to pull your valve covers if it persists to make sure nothing in the valvetrain has came loose.

After that...

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
AEDM8 said:
After that...
if it's still knocking you might wanna look for a new engine, ouch, i feel your pain, man, maybe it's the detroit gods telling you it's 4.2 time....:D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
big mike said:
please tell me its not a rod knock :(
It's not a rod knock.

Better? Probably not, so I really hope things workout for ya

Litning et al, you guys are hilarious, I haven't laughted this hard in a while

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It may not be lost, I had an 83 New Yorker with that pos 2.6 and well lets just say it started losing oil while goin 120 for 5 hours and started makin some noise when i finally stopped for gas I checked the oil and it was completely dry on the dipstick. Just filled it up and kept goin. Damn thing lasted for three months before it was hit (thankfully)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah i would do an oil change first then check for leaks to see whats going on. I had a 95 Intrepid with about 130k miles and one day it started doing the same thing. I stopped and filled it with oil and it didnt do ever again. I changed all my gaskets shortly after anyway. Found out the oil pan was leaking.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
i know that litning has 5 extra pistons at the moment if you need them.
p.s. Dont ask about the 6th! :D

something i should know, john?!!!

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i currently use 10w30. will 10w40 work?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Try using the 10-30 with Lucas oil treatment. Never tried it but the tranny and fuel stuff worked great for me in the past.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts