TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valve seal issue? Anything else that could cause this? I'm just not up to this job, pull the head, try to get bolts out of exhaust manifold, been there for 25yrs, my luck the bolts would twist off and if they do then what? I'm about ready to just let the car go. Emaculate car, gave it to my 31yr old son who trashed it before he left this world. I finally got everything working again in the interior except the antenna not right. I just don't want to drop a bunch more money in it.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,555 Posts
If it’s the valve seal(which indeed is the most likely culprit on 95s) you can do it without removing the head, just need to fill the cylinder with compressed air(or run rope through the spark plug hole and turn the motor to TDC to prevent the valves falling in) and use a valve spring removal tool to remove the spring/retainers and get to the seals

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never done any head work always been sent out. Not real clear what your describing.

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
The valve seals are held under the valve spring, accessible under the valve cover. The spring can be removed with a special compressor tool to access the seal. In order for the now loose valve to not fall into the cylinder, you fill the cylinder you’re on with compressed air, or if you don’t have access to a compressor, occupy the space with paracord rope that you insert through the spark plug hole and fill the cylinder with to keep the valves in place

The only reason to remove the head and have it sent out is if you also had the steel valve guides replaced. Valve seals aren’t what I consider head work

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Is it just one plug or all? Does it cause misfire, smoke, check engine light?

Failed PCV system causing too much pressure in the crankcase and excessive blowby?

I'm with you, if I had to open up the engine I think it would be too much for me to tackle.

Maybe try a vacuum gauge test and compression test to get a better idea of the cause?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I'm not able to drive it no brakes, pedal to the floor, haven't got there yet but I noticed the idle was low on rpm and finding this plug drinched with oil it wasn't firing on all 8. No CEL, my first thought was valve seal. Not smoking if it is not very noticeable. Just the one cylinder drivers side.

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'll throw this out there because it has happened many times before: when an intake manifold leaks coolant, it seeps into the spark plug well. When the coolant sits on the spark plug boot for a long period of time, it turns into a black, gooey mess, resembling oil.

Check the intake manifold closely for leaks. Also please post up the year of your Thunderbird. 96-97 has the plastic manifold that is prone to cracking, 94-95 has an aluminum manifold that is much more reliable, but the gaskets eventually go.

Al

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a 95 lx and it's definitely oil. What kind of rope is mentioned to do this I don't have any air access. If I'm going to try the seal I'm going to read up good. Wish I could see a video removing the spring with tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts