TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any major differences between the factory motorcraft replacments or the Ford Racing wires?

quality/longevity?

what are your thoughts.

thanks for your time.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Factory = 8mm
Ford Racing = 9mm

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
does that do anything for performance?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would only go with FRPP wires if they were cheaper than motorcrafts. The FRPP are blue, motorcraft is like black/graphite color. I have had this same set of motorcraft wires on my bird's original engine (shortly after I got the car with 135k), the one I built and later blew up, and now the same ones are on my PI engine. They still work great!
-Rob

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I had problems with my stock motorcraft wires, but replacements were a bit pricey at the time, I tried autozone duralast which fried in about 3 months, I tried bosch which lasted about a week, I tried prostart which lasted about 2 weeks, and that finally I took a chance on Roush after hearing good things about them on a mustang forum, 4 months and no problems, also availble in ford blue, red, and black. Also they were only about $85 to my door.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From my experience.. anything from Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts that is "store brand" is cheaply made (china) and won't last for long. The only place I haven't had that issue is Napa auto parts, as long as you're buying the premium stuff. They run around 90 bucks there which isn't cheap, but they last so in the end they are worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I work at a napa store and I've got to say our premium plug wires (Belden) are fairly good quality. I try to shy my customers away from some of the lower priced wire because quite honestly, they are just ****ty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I work at a napa store and I've got to say our premium plug wires (Belden) are fairly good quality. I try to shy my customers away from some of the lower priced wire because quite honestly, they are just ****ty.

IMHO Belden wires are the best wires for the money.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
My original Motorcraft wires gave out at 78K after just 4 years. I replaced them with another set of standard Motorcraft wires which I ran on the car for three years. In November of 2002 at 163,000 miles, based on the recommendation in the technical articles, I upgraded to the Magnacor 8.5 mm wires which are still on the car. I've been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My original Motorcraft wires gave out at 78K after just 4 years. I replaced them with another set of standard Motorcraft wires which I ran on the car for three years. In November of 2002 at 163,000 miles, based on the recommendation in the technical articles, I upgraded to the Magnacor 8.5 mm wires which are still on the car. I've been very pleased with them.
I know the obvious symptoms of bad wires, but sometimes its hard to justify $70+ when they are marginal and you aren't sure. Its not an easy call.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personal experience the Motorcraft wires work great and last a long time. Never really seen a need for the bigger wires but my car is pretty stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts