TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I just change the sparkplugs in my car. (3.8 n/a) I used autolite double platinums. Now, should I change the wires and coil pack also and is this a easy thing to do? How difficult and how long does it take because I want to get this done today maybe. The car has 92K on the clock.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Leave the coil packs alone. No need to change those as long as they are working correctly. Just change the wires (one at a time to avoid a mixup) and call it done. Grab some Motorcraft wires.

Jay

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay now another question. How the hell do I get those clamps off, which hold the wires in place so they don't rub against anything hot? They look as if they should just clamp and unclamp, but I can't seem to get it with my hands or even by prying it off with a screwdriver. If you're not sure what I'm referring to, there are 4 clamp things, which have a few wires running threw them on both sides (2 on each side) to stop them from rubbing against something hot. I need to get these open so I can take the old wires out and slide the new wires in them. Is there a trick to getting these buggers open?

This is what it looks like

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The part that clamps around the outside of the wires needs to slide out to the left or right, I can't remember which.

Jay

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These things I'm talking about are called Spark plug wire seperaters. Should I just break the old ones and put new ones on? How do they come off?

·
Registered
109 Posts
These things I'm talking about are called Spark plug wire seperaters. Should I just break the old ones and put new ones on? How do they come off?

I broke two of mine trying to get them off. Haha. If you use a small flathead screw driver you can pry the ends apart without breaking it. These particular clamps do not slide to the right or left so they are a pain to get off. =)

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Read HERE for wire recommendations.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I broke two of mine trying to get them off. Haha. If you use a small flathead screw driver you can pry the ends apart without breaking it. These particular clamps do not slide to the right or left so they are a pain to get off. =)
Once they break because I will probably have to break mine to get the wires out, which ones should I replace them with and how do they go on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts