TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking to replace the plug wires on her bird and we are not too sure what ones to go with. I found some at Ford Racing, but the don't list any for the 4.6 t-bird. Here is the link, Ford Racing Wires Would the mustang ones work? Other options?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The wires for the 96-98 Mustang GT will work...I'd recommend you stick with Motorcraft though. FRPP look nice, but many people report poor quality, myself included.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I personally use MSD wires...I like how they look and they seem to be higher quality than the Motorcrafts I had, and without question better than the FRPP wires.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
im a big MSD wires fan. Ive had mine for a few years and like them becuase they give a nice postive click down onto the plugs.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I've been using FRPP plug wires for 3 years now. I've had them off twice and never have had any problems with them. Just use plenty of dielectric grease and anti-seize.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1.MSD is a dirty word in my house..
2. Factory ford wires from a dealer are good , but outrageous in price.
3. The FRPP wires are actually a tad heavier insulation, and have just as good Quality in my book.You just have to live with juvenile colors.

The above observations based on operating '95 T- Birds for over 318,000 miles over the past 9.5 years. Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I chose the FRPP's because of the price and simplicity, but they didn't want to clip nicely to the coil packs. I used a small tie wrap around each set of locking clips, to keep the clips locked in place. I sent an e-mail to FRPP, about the poor quaity, and never got any reply. Go figure.

They have been on for 4 years, though, with no issues, and I'm partial to Ford Blue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
1.MSD is a dirty word in my house..
Why is that, Leland? I've had good luck, but I haven't done anything extreme with any of the MSD equipped vehicles. My last was a 1986 Bronco with a ford distributor and everything else by MSD. I went up significantly in gas mileage, and the vehicle ran great. But I only had the setup for a few years, and it was a mildly built engine.

I'd appreciate any insight so I can avoid potential mistakes.

As far as plug wires, I prefer Motorcraft when you can get them.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well , the wires weren't all that good, and having had 3 different DIS-4 boxes in the car, I became thoroughly fed up with MSD, and their support... First one failed , second one caught on fire , darned near lost the car , and the third one , like the first two just ate the Tach adapters at 69 bucks a pop... I ran it more on bypass than operational due those darned tach adapters.Just once on a road trip wireing the bypass up with a flashlight in your teeth, in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with icy rain running down your back, into your butt crack, will be enuff to make you understand, or the effort and threats I hadda use to get the darned thing repaired after almost burning up my car really caps the whole situation.... Now if you wanna know how I feel about those lousy *&*^%%$'s over at MSD............ :mad:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
Now if you wanna know how I feel about those lousy *&*^%%$'s over at MSD............ :mad:
I'm getting the picture. I'll possibly think twice before using their stuff again. Thanks for sharing the experience.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Thanks for the adive on the MSD stuff. Maybe I outta tell my bud not to get a DIS 4 box...like I was thinkin about later on also :eek:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
hotbird said:
Thanks for the adive on the MSD stuff. Maybe I outta tell my bud not to get a DIS 4 box...like I was thinkin about later on also :eek:
The only time to up grade a stock ignition is with squeeze or boost, and I currently have a plasma booster , which " seems" to help when I go into boost with the Snow injection.... otherwise, I sometimes get some "blow out" without it.
The plasma booster probably doesnt help much, but is cheaper , a simpler install, and more reliable. For anything but an adder set up it makes no sense to try to change a perfectly good factory system, and MSD has been my bane for several years..........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts