TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I continue on with this tranny project! I'm about to put it together and get it in the car. I wanted to get a pan w/ plug but the dealers around here want almost $80. I have a '97 pan and I'm thinking of using a plug kit.
Question: Where is the plug located on the '98+ pan with plug (F8UZ-7A194-AA)? I'd like to install a plug in the same place. Does anyone have any pictures of this pan? I'm assuming this pan is the same as the '96 up pan, but with a plug. Also, what is the '98 pan w/ plug (F8UZ-7A194-AA) originally off of?

Thanks!
Randy

·
Registered
726 Posts
plug is on the bump, and when attached to the trans, is on the axle side of the bump (towards the rear).
I think the '98 pan applys to any 4r70w made in '98, but not sure about that. If not, prob. off a '98 mark8.
Get your plug kit from summit racing. they are a really good place to buy from. While your buying from there get a trans cooler (if you don't already have one) and anything else that looks cool! :D

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
if I recall correctly, with the tccoa discount the 98 pan was 50 some dollars. Not too bad, but well worth it IMHO.

Justin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW

WOW!
$50! Thats about a 33% discount! So it's on the axle side of the bump (facing the rear). My only concern with adding an aftermarket drainplug is that the inside nut would hit the filter pickup (I'm not sure how far down that pickup goes).
I went to a Ford dealer today and I think we looked at every vehicle with 4R70W from '97 to '02 and couldn't find that pan. I had the part number, but I was trying to find the location of the drainplug - and he couldn't get a breakdown w/o knowing what vehicle it went on.
I already have a tranny cooler. Just FYI - I've had lots of probs with my '95 tranny with 81K miles. I was going to rebuild it, but found a '97 tranny with 35K miles for $250!! I did the accumulator pistons/spring updates tonight (and removed some springs too!). I haven't done the Jerry mod.
Do you think it would be safe to put the drain plug on the back of the bump, should I worry about it hitting the filter pickup??

Thanks for all the help!!
Randy

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wouldn't think that the plug would fit the filter pickup, because on the pan, the plug doesn't

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....

I installed the plug kit on the rear of the bump. There was PLENTY of room!!
It certainly was cheaper than buying the Ford Pan!
Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts