TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my 60k tune-up on my 97 4.6 tbird. What kind of spark plugs would you guys reccomend and also I was considering ford racing 9mm plug wires.......I assume the ones for the 4.6 mustang 2v engine will fit the birds. Tell me if I assumed right. Thanks

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Yes, the 9mm wires are a popular upgrade and will work fine, but they probably don't make a performance enhancement over stock wires, especially on a stock engine. They look good.
Just get the Autolite copper plugs. I forget the part #.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The FR 9mm wires will not improve the performance of a stock 4.6

Also, the upper plug chamber boots did not seal properly on mine, leaving a gap allowing dust or water to get in.

While I never had any other issues with them, I have switched back to the stock Motorcraft wires

Motorcraft coppers or Autolite Coppers work well. Bosch not so good.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
It can be hit-or-miss with the FRPP wires...the set that I bought had two faulty wires out of eight, one of which the wires were actually sticking out of the boot and was causing the spark to arc to the head :rolleyes: I replaced them with 8mm Motorcraft wires and have had no problems. The Motorcraft wires were, for me at least, much easier to get the "snap" with.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
which autolite plugs are equivelant to motorcraft 22c's? sorry for the hi jack.

Frank

·
Registered
348 Posts
Autolite 103 is the part number. I run them in both my cars. They stock heat range plug is a 763.

·
8,239 Posts
the motorcraft coppers are technically better, they have different quality standards than auto lite does.

JH

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
yeah, but I've heard of problems finding 22C's lately, and the Autolites are the next best thing, and they're cheap

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
I had a bad experience with the FRPP wires too, the clips like to break on the coil packs after a while... I have the Taylor's now...

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
i use msd wire's and love them 8.5mm and paid like 80 bucks for them and use nkg v power plugs i get the best milage with these plugs.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
yeah, but I've heard of problems finding 22C's lately
Visit Dan... I bet he's got em... I think they're about a buck and a half shipped...

-mike

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I would, but I'm in Washington right now, I'll have to hit him up when I get back in town. The Autolites are good enough for my car to have while it's parked in OK.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i run autolite 764s and 9mm FRPP wires, the frpp wires only last about a year and a half tho, so the 8mm stock ones may go longer, why are you tuning it up at 60k? do you have mis or something?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts