TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking with a guy i know about cars in general, yadda, yadda, yadda, and the police crown vics came up. he said they have 454's in them..i said that sounds a bit extreme...he said they do, blah blah, argument goes on. just wondering if the guy knows what he is talking about, or if he's just full of it. any insight?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
No GM Engines In Ford Production Cars

A 454 in a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor?! That's absurd. The Crown Vic P.I. made between 1992-2003 all had a 4.6L SOHC engine. Nothing to much special about it. The police spec Ford LTD's of the 1980's MAY have had a 351 (or is it just internet rumor?), but for the most part they were 5.0L cars.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: No GM Engines In Ford Production Cars

TurboCat said:
That's absurd.
that was my impression too, but the guy worked as a dispatcher here in town, so i figured there might be a slight chance he knew what he was talking about, but like i said, i thought it was a bit extreme. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
319 Posts
my brother said that some police interceptor victorias have v10's in them and he said they are coming out on the large scale soon. check on the internet, thats where he got his info from.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ehh... I've never heard of V10 police cars. I have heard of SOHC Interceptors though, and in some special cases, Police Departments will have SVT cars for high speed chases and such. But never have I heard of V10's. That would be neat to see though. Maybe in their trucks?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
and you believe everything you read on the internet. if you do your the idiot.

Police Vic's came with 4.6L just like whats in the tbird/mustang and the older ones came with 5.0's

and besides, a 454 is a fugging CHEVY motor who in their right mind would believe that ford of all people would put a CHEVY motor into a FORD CROWN VIC???? shiesh.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
The craziest motors and stuff I have heard about is the special high speed pursuit cars, used by the State Patrol, my buddy had a 95 Camaro that had been decked out, and had a corvette eng. stuffed in there, he bought it from a dealer who got it as a trade in from a guy who bought it with most of the equipment, like the light bar and the paint job, lights most likely didn't work, but he drove it into a shallow ditch and messed it up, the thing was insanely fast, even came with the rollbar, you could see all the screw holes from the onboard comps and stuff, one helluva ride, even if it was a chevy. Now V-10 cars, that would be some cool stuff, imagine the 1/4 mile times:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
back in the 60's and 70s the chevy police cars DID come with 454s in them and other asorted big blocks... the fords had bigh blocks as well.

I know this is true becasue when my mom was in high school her father (my grandfather) have her a used police interceptor with a 454 in it. She said it was VERY fast and bulletproff... unltill my uncle wrecked it street racing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
typical idiot nonsense...

I've heard all sorts of "tall tales" about 'police interceptors with nitrous oxide and blowers ever since I was a kid. I think these stories get their start from some guy with a "hot" car. He get his butt caught by a police car. To catch his hot car the police car must have had a 454, V10, nitrous, a blower etc.

Myy question is this: don't these hot rodded police cars have to pass emissions tests?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
In the current model, the Cop edition has NOTHING different to the engine or tranny. You can walk in to a dealer and buy a CV that is exactly the same, minus the wig-wags/strobes, lightbars, shotgun holder, and divisor.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Send the guy over to www.crownvic.net if he'd like to debate the 454 issue :D !

I took a tour of the factory last summer where they're built (St. Thomas, Ontario), and can assure you guys that there are only 2 engines that go into a Panther body, and only the Marauder gets a 32 valve engine, all the rest (Marquis and Vic) get plain old 16 valve 4.6L V8's.

However, there are people who transplant all sorts of stuff, including V10's, into their cars.

When people ask me what's under the hood of my Marquis, I tell them that it's got the exact same engine as the police cars have :D! Hey, I ain't lying.

For the box bodies, the 351 was optional for police models only (P72's).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Send the guy over to www.crownvic.net if he'd like to debate the 454 issue :D !

I took a tour of the factory last summer where they're built (St. Thomas, Ontario), and can assure you guys that there are only 2 engines that go into a Panther body, and only the Marauder gets a 32 valve engine, all the rest (Marquis and Vic) get plain old 16 valve 4.6L V8's.

However, there are people who transplant all sorts of stuff, including V10's, into their cars.

When people ask me what's under the hood of my Marquis, I tell them that it's got the exact same engine as the police cars have :D! Hey, I ain't lying.

For the box bodies, the 351 was optional for police models only (P72's).

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I heard a rummer that here in NY back in mid 90s that some of the state trooper camaros had Corvette engines in them. I could believe that a little bit but knowing the govt. they wouldnt pay the amount of money to do engine swaps and stuff. They want to buy it and use it. Like everyone said though, the only differnce in current police cruisers is the wheels and suspension. One of the crown vic boards has a side by side comparison of whats standerd on what crown vic version.

-Shawn

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shawn40th said:
I heard a rummer that here in NY back in mid 90s that some of the state trooper camaros had Corvette engines in them. I could believe that a little bit but knowing the govt. they wouldnt pay the amount of money to do engine swaps and stuff. They want to buy it and use it. Like everyone said though, the only differnce in current police cruisers is the wheels and suspension. One of the crown vic boards has a side by side comparison of whats standerd on what crown vic version.

-Shawn
well thats partly true... just like a normal crown vic has a police motor in it.

in the years before the C5, the vette and the 4th gen F-bodies had the same motor... I even read that in 96 or 97 (i think) a trans am WS6 could outrun a vette.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
we had an 82 LTD ex-statey car when i was very young... 351W with a carb. Man that car hauled. lol.
From what I had heard, all stateys and local cops who special ordered it got the 351. I dont think it was offered otherwise. also had some good suspension parts :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i know caprices of the mid 90s had the LT1 motor option, for civilian use. and id figure thats what a cop car from then would get too. My grandpa's (may he rip) caprice is 95 with the LT1 and that thing will fly. the 0 - 60 is a very traction limited mid 8. too bad those things are so friggin heavy, but they ride nice. i've been driving it the past couple of days. -greg

·
Registered
529 Posts
one of the mens magazines Maxim,FHM, stuff cant member had a a two page layout on the prototype police cruiser to come it had fog lights and a stealth light bar and some other goodies but I believe it also said it was gonna have a special V8 ..it looked pretty sweet. If anyone knows what mag it was I would love to know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts