TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've cleaned all the paint and "tough" factory primer off these wheels, and then sanded and primed and painted the sides of the holes, and some what polished the surface. It was a chore, but they look pretty good I think.

I still need to make my centers, but I have a plan. Will post pics when I get there.

Later .......... CP

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
A truly unique wheel! Looks great.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I would clearcoat them before you put them back on the car to help keep them shiny and easier to clean. Just a little tip.....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ....

And about clearcoating them. I have clearcoated polished aluminum before (many years ago) , and it looks great in the short haul, but over time .... it's better to just polish the aluminum once in a while I think. I hate it when the clearcoat chips and flakes in spots. I've always had an old british motorcycle (1974 Triumph Trident) around with polished cases and there are other projects I have tried clearcoating on. Everytime I have ever yielded to temptation and clearcoated some bare aluminum that was polished, I soon swore never again.

The surface is now polished and isn't so "grippy" for paints, and most paints will chip in places after a short while requiring re coating.

I did these 10 hole wheels ...

... on my other T-bird in the summer of 1997 basically the same way I just finished the 7 spokers (stripping finish, sanding, more sanding, cleaning, more sanding with 320, 400, 600, 1000 and then finally use the paste. To get the rim edge or lip, I spin them. Use care.) ...

... and maybe once every other year (or three), I'll go sit in the drive way for maybe an hour with the radio on ... on a cool afternoon and polish them with some "Semi Chrome" polish. Once the aluminum is polished smooth, it's really easy to bring to a high gloss with the right stuff. "Semi Chrome" comes in small tubes, I've been using it for over 30 years now and it polishes and protects.

They have held up very well, these pics taken August 2006. I usually just wash them and do not use any special wheel cleaners as brake dust simply does not adhear to them. Since 1997, I have almost worn out two sets of 225/60-15 Lemans HR tires off of these wheels.

Now, the Lacey Spokes on my 2001 Mercury GM are factory painted a silver metalic clear coat, and the dust does stick to them, they can be a PITA to keep looking clean.

But these polished 10 hole aluminum wheels .... never. I hope the 7 spoke 16X7s do likewise. I'll give them a chance anyway.

·
Registered
958 Posts
wish my fanblades was easy to polish........they're stripped already, but the way they are made makes it a pita to polish, so ima get them super chrome powdercoated......... hopefully.......just gotta get some spare wheels so i can mess w/ these fans some more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I like that alot, but what is the plan for your centers?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Looks friggin awesome! Now if only mine werent so chewed up from me smacking a curb in the snow.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I still need to make my centers, but I have a plan. Will post pics when I get there.
That is awesome! If there was a good cure for the centers I would love to take the time to do that, too bad they would only go on my 89 Cougar, but that looks very hot. I would rather have those than the 03 Cobra wheels.

Once I see my 97 with the chrome bullitts, it is tough to see a painted wheel on either of them. Even compared to the machined grandpa wheels on my Grand Marquis they just don't do it for me any more, painted silver.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Once I see my 97 with the chrome bullitts, it is tough to see a painted wheel on either of them. Even compared to the machined grandpa wheels on my Grand Marquis they just don't do it for me any more, painted silver.
I'm gettin' eager to put the LS wheels I got over a year ago put on. Talked to cougarcragar about getting spacers from him and now it's on to find a good deal on 255/50/17 tires. The ones I got were the machined split 7 spoke wheels, love the look.

If there was only a way to chrome those 7-spoke 16's, I'd never have ever worried about the LS wheels.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
those are my fav wheels for the cougar looks nice polished.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I made some centers using 6 1/2" diameter 1/8" thick aluminum disc and the stainless steel spring ring from some Cougar centers (they were cracked and tore up, I diidn't butcher good ones). Lots of polishing. Will polish more I'm sure.

I installed them witb Goodyear P225/60R16 RS-A rubber. Those are simply 3/16" diameter, 1/4" reach aluminum "pop" rivets and I had to use a suitable 3/16" back up washer inside as the holes in the spring ring are 1/4".

I cleaned the car today after getting off work today, then I gave her a good coat of Liquid Glass. These pics taken yesterday afternoon, I was in a rush. They look pretty much exactly like button headed socket screws until you look real close like.

Last one taken at 5:50 am as I went to work yesterday.

·
Registered
554 Posts
wow that looks great!!! SO how much to do mine?

·
Registered
431 Posts
That looks awesome, now take them off that T-bird and send them to me so I can put them on my Cougar like they should be.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts