Registered
2,663 Posts
Powdercoat?

Jay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it comes down to me having to podwercoat it, I am not even gonna bother. I can buy paint and paint it a different color. I was just looking for a cheap alternative to getting that thing shiny. Thanks alot tho. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe try different grades of steel wool? Also maybe some metal polish. (mothers, flitz, etc.) :zdunno:

I've been thinking of doing mine so when you get it done, post some pics.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
SaleenTBird said:
If it comes down to me having to podwercoat it, I am not even gonna bother. I can buy paint and paint it a different color. I was just looking for a cheap alternative to getting that thing shiny. Thanks alot tho. ;)
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=65029&highlight=skeet

you sure you dont wanna powdercoat it? the finish will last longer than your paint, will be impervious to all the nasty fluids and when its on, its on. It will take you longer to to polish the manifold and the results might not be what you want...or you can sandblast it and have someone powdercoat it with the color you want and not have to worry about it flaking off...ever.

·
Registered
321 Posts
doubleclutch said:
Maybe try different grades of steel wool? Also maybe some metal polish. (mothers, flitz, etc.) :zdunno:

I've been thinking of doing mine so when you get it done, post some pics.
You simply get a bunch of different grits of sandpaper 80,120,180,220,400,600,800,1000

Sand the intake down with each grit. Best way is to wet sand so the aluminum doesn't clog the paper. You can get flapper wheels that go in a drill for the rougher grades. make sure you get all the scratches from the previous grade out before switching to a finer grade.

I polished my Cobra intake by hand.

Also read THIS

Mike Donley

·
Registered
708 Posts
yeah, you have to sand it smooth before you think about polishing. I say go with powdercoat. your paint is just gonna look like crap in a few years.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
powdercoating is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Litning said:
powdercoating is the way to go!
Litning,

Why is the intake looking so dirty? I hope that is NOT in the powdercoat, and that it is just a little dirt/ dust on it.

-Josh

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
joshbea6 said:
Litning,

Why is the intake looking so dirty? I hope that is NOT in the powdercoat, and that it is just a little dirt/ dust on it.

-Josh
it is supposed to be like that..its a translucent candy type top coat over the aluminum....it actually looks pretty cool up close and in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts