Discussion Starter #1
Pick A Favorite

·
Registered
871 Posts
PIRELLI :uppoint:

·
8,239 Posts
Kumho. They are cheap as dirt, they hook pretty good even when worn, and you can burn them up without worrying too much about your pocketbook.

JH

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
JustinH said:
Kumho. They are cheap as dirt, they hook pretty good even when worn, and you can burn them up without worrying too much about your pocketbook.

JH
and you will burn them up.. mine lasted 3000 mi...

Dunlop SP
Goodyear F-1

How much do you want to spend, how long do you want them to last??? How do youdrive??? Wet or Dry???

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I love the firestone 225 60 16 sz50ep tires. They are a summer fall and spring tire only don't even atempt to drive in the snow with them.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
kumho KH11 here-235/60/16.
Almost 9K miles on them now,and they are still in like new condition.They also hook better than any other tire I've had on the car-even with the additions of power that are still being added.
I've had the following before,and none of them come close:
Firehawk SZ50 Z-rated
Firehawk SS20 S-rated
Pirelli P4000 V-rated
Falken Ziex ZE-502 H-Rated
Goodyear Eagle RS-A V-rated
JL

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im going to have to say Avons. I had those puppies up to 159mph on a dyno. And they had no flex at all. They were as perfect as they get. They hooked great and were pretty good in the rain too. Other than the $199 a piece price tag i can't complain.

"CRASH"
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Summitomos HTR Z II's all the way!
I have a set of them and tread wear is better then the Michelins and the hold the road better than any Goodyear I have ever run. Wet weather traction is off the scale. I don't think any other tire manufacturer comes close.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote: "Firestone? I know a few ppl would vote for the SZ50EP"

I'm another one. I run the Firehawk 255/50-16 on the rear and 225/60-16 on the front. They came with a 30-day money-back trial so I had nothing to lose. Love them--especially in the rain. I can start off faster than anybody from the light when the streets are wet and I use second gear.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
OK, now we've heard good and bad things about:

Goodyear
Firestone
Kumho
Dunlop
Sumotomo
Avon
Pirelli
Falken
Michelins
Nitto
Goodrich

So glad we could be of help :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had Goodyears, Firestones, Pirelli, BF Goodrich, and Michelins on my various last cars, and by far the Michelins were the best. I'm only using BFG right now because the same size Michelins cost so much more, but when these are gone, I'm going back to Michelins.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
johnaec said:
by far the Michelins were the best
I spent a fortune for Michelin X-1's when they first came out (the car was stock, and I was still into "passenger" tires at the time). I put them on my '96 bird and they went about 25,000 mi. when all four reached the wear bars. They were "guaranteed for 100,000 mi, when I went back to get my "guarantee" money back or new tires, Michelin wouldn't honor it 'cause, even though I could show receipts for most of my tire rotations.. there were a couple of gaps when I brought it to someone that didn't charge and didn't give me a reciept.. and since I didn't fill out the little booklet they gave me with the tires, I was out of luck. Now the dealer, gave me a replacement set of take-off X-1's that showed a lot of tread.. They lasted about 7,000 mi...

On the other hand, in the early 70's I had Michelin XAS tires on my 260Z, and they were the most wonderful tire I ever owned to this day. They didn't last long, but they were a high performance tire and not expected to.

It seems that one person's dream tire can be another's nightmare. I had both experiences with the same company...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Who can afford F-1's?? especially when they are rated to last only 15,000 mi, which means, I'd get maybe 10,000... I priced them for my set-up which is 275/40's x 17" rear and 245/45 x 17" front, and I about fainted... and while I'm not shy about spending money for quality car equipment, especially tires, I opted for the Dunlops and a down payment on an SVO intake instead... I would love to try a set someday. If I hit the Lotto, I'll be sure to post how I like em.....

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Michelin!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts