• 4 215-60-16 barely used all season

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am driving the birdy to florida in just over 3 weeks. which wheel/tire combo do you think would be best for the long trip? 245-60-15 A/S on stock 15x6.5 rims, 215-70-15 snow tires on stock 15x6.5 rims, or 16x6 A/S on '03 taurus rims?

edit: please state your reasoning as well.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
I voted for the third choice (16" all-season), though it's a toss-up between those and the 245s. My reasoning is simply that most of your driving will not be in a snowy area, and, since they sound 'newer,' it's better to have good tires for a longer drive like you're planning (IMO). Snow tires aren't a good choice for regular road driving, such as what you'll drive on once getting away from our frozen northeast. If the 245s are in good shape, then go with those, and have a good time hugging the road, as it were.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the way i was leaning. the only possible problem with the 16's is that they are on taurus rims, which are 16x6 as opposed to my 15x6.5. i will be driving down with 2 other people and luggage. when we arrive, we will be discarding the luggage at the hotel, but aquire 2 more passengers. not sure on the weigt/handling issue in this scenario, so i think i will be going with the 245 option, but feel free to keep voting and stating your reasons so that i may have a more definatiove answer before i leave.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, 9 whole votes and only one opinion out of this whole board. what gives?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think I would go with the 16's. they are only slightly shorter than the 245's and most likely would give a better ride.

Besides, most any car looks better with more wheel and less tire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i voted for the 16's because if you do get into some deep snow at the beginning of your trip the 215's will go through it better than the 245's.

i don't think you'll have any problem with them because of the weight. just don't forget that you don't have the wide tire on if you decide to do any spirited driving.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ThunderChicken1 said:
i don't think you'll have any problem with them because of the weight. just don't forget that you don't have the wide tire on if you decide to do any spirited driving.

then whats the point of owning a thunderbird? :tongue:

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just mounted one up to see what they look like. just doesn't look right to me. tire needs to be wider...like 235-60-16 would probably suffice, but i'm not gonna go buy new tires. not really worried about weight, cause the taurus is a heavy car too, but i think i will go with my 245-60-15's. thanks for all the votes and inquiries.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
manny said:
can you post a pic with the 245-60x15's?
i dont have any pics available with my 245's on. pm shadowdragon. he uses that size too, and has several pictures.

·
Registered
676 Posts
where in FL u going? If you are near by you can check out my smashed up bird.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i went to orlando.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I voted for the 245's if they are in good shape why not have more rubber on the road? Besides wider and lower profile tires looks cool.

Have fun.
bluethunder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts