TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want sound out of my exhaust.......b/c im really poor right now and cannot afford to do much beyond exhaust work.....im going to see what happens with no mufflers but i may try and find small glass packs to put onthe cars......on the stock catback piece....any suggestions to a super cheap way to make a descent sounding bird?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just hack off you mufflers, and get some long tips to put on in place of them, that will sound a lot better than stock.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinkin the same thing except i may not invest in buying tips if it costs more then 40 bucks for em....b/c.......kinda pointless if i want duals.....but i may just do that

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just removed the back portion of the exhaust. It sounded pretty decent outside, but a hell of a lot of drone inside. A few of my buddies said it sounded like a stang with flows. Best part of it all is you can put it back if you don't like it. Only takes about 10 min to remove and put back in.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i've had my mufflers cut off of my stock exhasut for over a year. i cant decide what i want for a real exhaust, so its been longer than i expected. my car doesnt drone to bad inside, its definitly noticeable but i love how it sounds. lots of people cant believe all i did was cut the mufflers off. i put tips on it to dump it behind the rear bumper. if you just cut the mufflers off and the exhaust ends under the car you will get an unbearable drone while driving.

Frank

·
Registered
615 Posts
frank you are very right about the unbearable drone. My V8 friends and I didn't mind it at all, but my parents hated riding in my car. The sucky thing with no mufflers is the ricer pop you get when you rev it quite high.

·
8,239 Posts
get the pipes for the dynomax catback system and replace the mufflers with ultra flows.

Or grab the dynomax catback and leave the st's on it. The kit is 199 and it is bolt on.

Ghetto exhaust setups are ghetto.

JH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wanna donate me the 199 for the kit? i said poor....i mean poor....like.....i try and think of ways to lighten my car to make it fast b/c im so poor...its quite said.....i think its why ricers do stupid stuff....there poor....so they think to hard....n they think......5" tip.....THATS POWER b/c they go insane from being so poor.....im going insane.....and cutting the mufflers isnt ghetto its a cheap way to make sound.....im more worried about losing power when i cut my mufflers.......any power loss?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
no loss in power for me. if your looking for sound forget about the dynomax cat back. my cousin has it on his 93 5.0 cougar and it doesnt sound much different than stock, waste of $200 in my opinion.

Frank

·
Registered
313 Posts
I vote for hacking off the mufflers.. it does drone a little, but big sound at idle, and on the gas.. people will know you have a V8.. and it's free.. then go get a couple pieces of tailpipe from Autozone, and bolt on a couple of cheap chrome tips.. hole thing sould cost you about 10 bucks including the wire to tie up the new tialpipes.. ghetto, yes.. but very cheap, and very easily fixed if you don'l like the sound..

By the way.. with this setup, you won't lose any power because the cats will give you enough backpressure to give the low end some grunt..

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The first thing i did with my stock exhaust was hack off the mufflers and put some pipes back there. I loved the sound of it idleing and when you opened her up but while driving and getting up to highway speed my ears couldn't stand it. I thought it sounded like a damn bee :) so i went with the dynomax catback. Iv had it on for like 2 months now. The sound is ok but a tad louder than stock, but my low end torque feels better. I'm my opinion if you want better sound go with magnaflows over flowmaster. They dont drone as much but correct me if i'm wrong here but some times the front end of the exhaust setup or the way the whole setup is can affect the sound x pipe/ h-pipe duals compared to 2-1-2 ect.... Well i'm gonna save my money and get the art exhaust :)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im poor i want sound......ill hack them off when i get the time im geting a little sick rite now

·
8,239 Posts
save your money and have a shop bend you up a new exhaust.

Hacked mufflers sound terrible imho.

A shop will not bend you an exhaust for less than 199, thats why i mentioned the catback.

Doing anything performance costs money and nothing is free.

JH

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Justin is right. I have the things cut off of mine and the drone is bad at speed. The rest of the exhaust is sooooo restrictive that its rather quiet. If you do go and cut the muffs off, put tips on it. You will want to keep the spent gasses out from under the car and the tips will help you direct them that way. I dont know if the exhause will get that hot leaving the pipe and hittin the bumper cover but I dont wanna find out. You will not lose any performance with them cut.

·
8,239 Posts
yeah you are right.

Whats the big infatuation with dual exhaust anyway?

I run a 3.5'' single all the way back with one magnaflow muffler, and two magnaflow cats.

JH

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with the 2-1-2 set up. Ther aren't many cars or trucks out there now running a true dual exhaust system. But leave the cats there. Exhaust not cleaned up by cats smell really bad and you will lose a little low end.

Thats my .02.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
justin....i said nothing about performance....i just want more sound....if i had money to spend id get exshaust done up...im just so poor and i dont want stock.....i drive on the highway for only short periods of times and 95% of the time around town....so i think id be ok....i was thinkn about geting some glass packs just to be a lil louder then stock.....and a little quiter then no muffs

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
JoeyICU said:
justin....i said nothing about performance....i just want more sound....if i had money to spend id get exshaust done up...im just so poor and i dont want stock.....i drive on the highway for only short periods of times and 95% of the time around town....so i think id be ok....i was thinkn about geting some glass packs just to be a lil louder then stock.....and a little quiter then no muffs
joey trust me you will like it with no mufflers. it sounds really mean. the drone doesnt bother me cuz its not so bad if you dump it behind the rear bumper with tips. if you decide u dont like it then add the glass packs.

Frank

·
Registered
970 Posts
fdawg97lx said:

joey trust me you will like it with no mufflers. it sounds really mean. the drone doesnt bother me cuz its not so bad if you dump it behind the rear bumper with tips. if you decide u dont like it then add the glass packs.

Frank
I"m still lost on the drone thing.... The only my exhaust droned was when it was cut right before the mufflers and echoing up under the bumper......and then now with no back seat and no trunk carpet it's pretty audible in the vehicle....
..but with the seats and trunk carpet in, it doesn't drone AT ALL..... :confused:
and I can cruise down the highway at 75MPH with no annoyance at all...

and I just have some $5 cheap tips that I picked up a while ago topping off some pipes I had bent. (however those pipes will cost ya of course, and I wouldnt' run without the pipes extending to the bumper)

Some people like the sound, and I've never really had anyone tell me it sounds horrible. (IIRC, someone said it sounded like a riced out porche one time :D )

it's not the best option, but it's a relatively cheap option to "be heard"

-jw

PS...JustinH...Ghetto? Oh hell yeah! :) (check the sig, I ain't denying it)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I knocked off .3 from my et with cutting the mufflers off and adding tips... i dont find that it drones.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts